BoatUS april seaworthy article

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First picture in the article under the title!! Check your thru hulls and hoses!

fishbust

Reaction score
What a shame.

Hoses need to be replaced and through hull fittings need to be re-bed on occasion.

Mine is a 2000. 15 years is about as long as I am comfortable with. Next winter mine get gone, the main winter project to go along with an electronics upgrade.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
At 22 years I got nervous last year, the origional owner didn't keep up on things. Pulled the boat out and just the slightest pull on the hoses and the plastic thru hulls crumbled. That was it for me everything went to stainless all new hoses in the boat . I sleep better now, figured I was on borrowed time.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
The boat I picked up last November is presently getting a going over with total hose replacement and through hull check as well.
Figured being 27 years old it was a no brainer before I put her to use.
This thread made me think of another good one...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17979
I picked a tub after reading this.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Replaced all my thruhulls in 2012 just after I purchased the boat. I had 3 of the original plastic one's that were cracked. Not good!

I went all SS, since I trailer, but it is worth replacing with either bronzed or SS! Then don't have to worry so much with age down the road with plastic again and sun damage. I noticed the plastic one's appeared to be sun damaged or maybe just age, but they were brittle and crumbly on the top layer.