BOW TRUSTER INSTALL PICTURES

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would like to see pictures of Grady White's cut open when you or someone has installed a Bow Thruster. I have a 2004 232 and wonder what I will find when I cut into the front V-berth and look down? Foam, open ????
I know about Florida Thruster's, would like some owner info.
Thank you in advance.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
There is a picture of a 232 on East Coast Bow Thruster's website, but only from the outside. There are a few more interior shots of other models there. I can upload some shots of my install on a Marlin later today after work.

I would say that the area is not foam filled. Access and space limitations are going to be your concern. You may need a hatch installed as depicted in some of the above mentioned photos show. Thruster motors can be mounted on the tube less than 90 degrees if needed for height restrictions.

seasick

Reaction score
jimintheair3 said:
I would like to see pictures of Grady White's cut open when you or someone has installed a Bow Thruster. I have a 2004 232 and wonder what I will find when I cut into the front V-berth and look down? Foam, open ????
I know about Florida Thruster's, would like some owner info.
Thank you in advance.

Why you would need a bow thruster on a 23 ft hull is beyond me. I have spoken to reps about the real need for thrusters on much larger hulls like the 30 and 33s and there seems to be no general consensus. I suppose that to a degree it depends on the prevailing winds and currents where you dock. The thrusters can be helpful at times but will need constant maintenance if you boat in waters with marine growth.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
While I tend to agree with Seasick, there were many times that I wished I had one while docking my 258 with a single 250. I love it on my Marlin but practice docking without it, just in case...

First pic shows the tube and thruster motor below the dinette table. Access below from a removable floor panel. Don't forget, you also need room for a battery. Mine is mounted starboard side storage box in the cabin. They prefer a short sun from motor to battery.

Also, all this does add weight up front. Just sayin'...
Good Luck

Attachments

• Thruster.jpg
    Thruster.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 3,247
  • Thruster Battery.jpg
    Thruster Battery.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 3,250

seasick

Reaction score
journeyman said:
While I tend to agree with Seasick, there were many times that I wished I had one while docking my 258 with a single 250. I love it on my Marlin but practice docking without it, just in case...

First pic shows the tube and thruster motor below the dinette table. Access below from a removable floor panel. Don't forget, you also need room for a battery. Mine is mounted starboard side storage box in the cabin. They prefer a short sun from motor to battery.

Also, all this does add weight up front. Just sayin'...
Good Luck

I may have spoken too quickly. I had in my mind a 32 foot hull with twin outboards. As you pointed out single motors are a whole different situation and there are times I wish I had a thruster on mine:)

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
1998sailfish said:
Jim,
What brand of thruster is shown in those images ? Vetus ?

Yes, Vetus BOW55, installed by East Coast Bow Thrusters out of NY. Very happy with Joe Molinaro and the job he did. Thruster has been flawless. Contacted Grady and matched the specs from the Imtra that they install in Marlins to the Vetus that ECBT installs. Joe did recommend the Vetus BOW45 which was a little less expensive but I kept to Grady specifications.

This is my first boat with twins and I can literally spin the boat in its own length. As with everything "boating", the more you do and practice, the better you get. I will always approach docking with the intention of not using it for the practice but it's always powered up in case I need that "bump". Very handy docking on those less than perfect days and getting in and out of crowded gas docks.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I hope to install one this spring depending on what is left of the funds after a new enclosure. Would love to have it professionally installed. After seeing the location of the unit as well as the battery location we will execute the installation when I move the Marlin into my shop for pre-season work. I have heard so many positives about about them as a installer.

The battery for the thruster is battery # 5 on your boat ? I have two starting as well as two house batteries.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
1998sailfish said:
The battery for the thruster is battery # 5 on your boat ? I have two starting as well as two house batteries.

For you, yes, it would be battery #5. They wire the battery back to your bank so it gets charged the same way as the rest, either when the motor(s) are running or when your charger is in operation. For me, it is battery #7. The previous owner added 2 extra house batteries with a beefed up charger. I guess he was concerned that factory setup was insufficient for the load on the system with all the electronics and such on the boat.

1998sailfish said:
Would love to have it professionally installed.

I would, especially after seeing this...

Don't know too many people brave enough to do that!!!

Attachments

• Thruster Hole.jpg
    Thruster Hole.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 3,078

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Six batteries prior to the thruster ?? Wow! I have spent a few overnights drifting In out Northeast canyons with all of my lights on (all LED) as well as my electronics while tuna fishing and never have drained my twin house bank. Where did the previous owner fit two additional house batteries?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Behind the Generator. There's room. But we'll see what it's like when it's time to replace them.

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Jim T
Have you shared the "Thruster Hole" picture with Grady? If so what did they think about the "meat" left on the bottom of the hole? Maybe you inspected and thought it was OK ? I'm thinking log?

As far as opinions of others, thank you but RTFQ.

TY for the pictures, very helpful. Jim