Cabin Doors

bill4169

Reaction score
I have a 1987 20 foot overnighter what can I use on the doors to brighten them up? There the fake wood look and the sun has gotten to them I would like to put a shine back on them

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would use them as a pattern and cut new ones out of starboard like the newer boats. Work it just like plywood.

For a refinish owners have used all sorts of coatings, from penetrol to atf. I would try 303 on them first, but if they require a re-finish then new doors might be a good alternative.

richie rich

Reaction score
the fake wood will look even more fake trying to refinish them.....cut out a new one like CJ said out of Starboard or Seaboard if you want that sanitary look....or go with a wood product (your favorite choice) but use an epoxy prime coat and any name brand seal coat of UV type protection to finish it off......the Brady Bunch style is over! Thats next years project for me.....

Sands

Reaction score
Is it possible to still get that duratrim today? If so, how is it applied over what I assume is plywood?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
richie rich said:
the fake wood will look even more fake trying to refinish them.....
>snip
...the Brady Bunch style is over!
>snip

Brady bunch style?? You crack me up! :lol:

Sands, I don't know about the 'duratrim', if it was me and I absolutely had to have wood, then I would make them up out of teak.

There used to be a plywood product with laminate on one or both sides. We used to use it on boats years ago in the NW. I forget what it's called though too. Maybe it will come to me...
I just don't like plywood on a boat - it eventually delaminates unless its encapsulated in epoxy. By the time you spend all the time and money you could have used solid wood.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The 87 didn't have duratrim, I think he's talking about wood grain formica covered ply door on the tackle compartments, or otherwise it's the teak doors to cabin.

Sands

Reaction score
BobP,

Yes, that's what I mean. I have a 1986 Overnighter. It has the wood grain formica, which I thought was "duratrim." And it is what covers the tackle doors. It is also what holds the teak doors to the cabin. It seems that is overlaid over plywood, or something.

"Brady Bunch style" LMAO!! Oh, man, that hurts.

JeffN

Reaction score
Sands I don't think the cabin doors, bulkheads etc were covered with formica. I think the woodgrain on these items is simply some sort of vinyl or similar that is applied over the ply at the plywood manufacturer. I have replaced a couple of pieces of that stuff and what I have is not fomica covered. I have wood grain formica on my '83 for switch and instument panels but the plywood is something different. People here have made new bulkheads etc from starboard or glass coated ply. My companion way doors are teak along with trim but the doors for storage areas and head etc located in the bulkheads are the coated plywood product. I don't think there is really anything to brighten them up with. I think I would make new. I put Pledge on mine for routine upkeep.

Sands

Reaction score
JeffN,
I think actually you're right. It must be a vinyl type covering over plywood. And I, too, use Pledge to spruce it up. When people replace that area with starboard, what are they covering the starboard with, if anything?
Thanks.

JeffN

Reaction score
I think they just go with the white or light colored Starboard. There are a couple of threads here that should come up on a search, some containing pictures of Starboard bulkheads around the helm station etc. There was also a thread in the last couple of months about Starboard vs glass coated ply for these applications. I had one area along the helm area deck that was delaminating but was able to repair it. Several years ago I did replace the piece on the interior transom with glass coated ply. The ply in the helm area has held up well for me probably because I leave the top and curtains up all the time.

Here is one of the threads http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6960

richie rich

Reaction score
Wood Grain station wagon, wood paneling all over the house, and plaid fabric on the furniture......just like a vintage Grady White....Brady Bunch Style.....

When its my turn to replace the upper B-heads I'm going to use marine ply like Okume which looks really nice when clearcoated, or even a cheaper grade of marine ply with a layer of teak veneer.....forget that 70's vinyl stuff...its just awful.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I went to a lumber yard and asked for teak veneer, which had to be ordered, and what they came up with was the exact same thing that was on there, some formica woodgrain thing. was like 100 dollars for the roll. Left it there.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You can get vinyl roll material wood grain, less expensive than formica, but way less durable too. I found it at the Depot.

Duratrim was a non-wood wood grain replacement for teak trim and toe boards at the gunnels, wasn't used anywhere else.

Wood grain formica covered birch plywood, later was changed to off white formica covered plywood at about the same time duratrim showed up as well as starboard, and black plexiglass cabinet doors, instead of wood.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Cabin door themselves were solid teak, not teak veneer, later replaced by starboard doors.

JeffN

Reaction score
Huh interesting I don't know what the doors the OP is speaking of are made of but on my '83 they sure are NOT wood grain formica over plywood. Only my instrument and switch panel are made of that material. Everything else save for the companion way door is the vinyl (or whatever) coated plywood. As much as my teak is kind of a pain I like the duratrim even less. I may have found the teak solution with cetol used that this year and it is still looking new.

Sands

Reaction score
I'm sort of thinking that I like the darker look of our doors and bulkhead. But, the vinyl-over-plywood is looking like a less attractive option. I may go with plain teak, which I think might be a nice look. When that is done, is it done with all teak? Or is it done with teak over starboard?

Thanks for that link, JeffN. It gives me a better idea of what is happening with that area.

JeffN

Reaction score
Sands - a friend with a duratrim model Grady used a teak laminate over the duratrim and it looked very nice. I don't know how it will hold up long term but when I saw it was nice looking and he did a great job. Maybe if that teak product is available in sheets you could laminate it to plywood for the doors and bulkheads. Or perhaps one can purchase plywood so treated from a manufacturer.

Edit 9/20/10 - His fix did not hold up in the cockpit area. It looked great when he did it but it did not last the season outside.

sherinmary4

Reaction score
This hardware makes lifting these somewhat heavy mixers and mechanically helping with the process of positioning the unit for use. More and more components are being designed to enable specialized hardware to be used in standard cabinet carcasses.

Cabinet doors