Captains chair wobbles

ghcpa9

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The lever and knob under the chairs are as tight as they can get, yet the chair still wobbles. Any one have this issue?

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the same problem with both of my chairs. Ended up taking them off the pedestal, disassembling much of the hardware underneath the seat, and tightening everything back up.

The wobble was coming from some loose nuts and was fairly easily resolved. It's also a good time to clean the underside of the chairs.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
The other reason for a wobbly seat it that there is a hard plastic piece that goes between the the bottom of the seat hole and the aluminum post that holds up the seat. These plastic tubes can dry out and crack. The part is available for around $16.00 at the Grady dealer, as well as the plastic seat slides, "U" bolts and tightning knob with shaft. I wound up replacing the whole lot as I could not loosen any of them due to age and corrosion when I bought my boat. A good and regular lubrication routine helps a lo

Enough Already

Reaction score
While we're on the topic, anybody know why my helm chair creaks so much? I've lubed up everything with wd-40 and everything operates very smoothly but as I sit in the chair and things rocks around, the chair continues to make loud and annoying creaking sounds. I am a big guy but still don't think this is normal.

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Seat squeaks

I had the same problem on my Marlin with deluxe seats. Tried everthing, tightened everythng. Nothing worked. Finally, decided to go other way and loosened knob and it worked! Tighten just enough so seat doesn't wobble excessibly and stop. A little wobble is better than a lot of noise. I'm a big guy also, maybe that's the real problem!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Use grease on the mechanism and sleeve.

The bore that accepts the pedestal may have cracked open, take the seat off and turn it upside down to inspect.

You can get the nylon bushings at many marine stores at a discount, same one used on Todd and other marine pedestal seats, standard diameter.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've got a wobble in the slider mechanism....there is a gap in there...looks like there was a plastic guide at one point but mine are both looser than my tastes prefer. Any idea how to get those slides. Google not turning up anything...

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Update on this...I had to replace the "slide glides"...essentially pieces of plastic on each side of the slider portion of the seat base.

It's apparently a common issue...I got the parts from Vero Marine but they are readily available on the Internet. Only downside is you have to literally disassemble the entire seat. The first one took almost an hour...the second one took less than 15 minutes.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
WD40 will loosen things up but you gotta use silicone grease or something similar. I have gone through two sets of plastic seat slides because my mate can never seem to just leave the seat in one position.