Center Rigger on Marlin 300

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Marlin 300 and just added a center rigger to the boat and am wondering what is the best location to hook the bungie to. I saw what Sally Ann did, but I have rocket launchers that could be in the way.
Al

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I did the same to my 2004 Marlin. At first I mouted the hook horizontally dead center on the rail directly about the step up. This kept it out of the way but required standing on the livewell to deploy. Last year I found a much better solution.

o lengthen the halyard to allow the bungee to wrap once around the base of the top leg mounted rod holder and and then clip back on to the bungee itself. Once the measurements are made you can use a bowline or hitches to tie the halyard.

o The varying size of the stem where the holder is welded to the leg makes it easy to adjust for correct tension. Note that it isn't necessary to close the snap but rather just get it over the bungee.

o This works great. It is ez to deploy and perfectly clears the hardtop rod holders.

o When done fishing, take the snap from around the bungee, loop it around the same horizontal hardtop support until it comes almost tight, then set the snap in the loop mounted there. This keeps it completely out of the way when not in use.

If anything isn't clear I can snap some pix over Easter.

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Some pictures would be great when you are able. i am going to be re-riggin this spring.
thanks

LeapFrog

Reaction score
I just ordered the Lee 45 degree holder with a 14' center rigger for my Marlin. Should be here this weekend. Any pics, tips, and tricks would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ifish

Reaction score
megabytes, if you could post some pics it sounds like you've got something going there...

thx

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to board iFish! I see this is your first post. I will try my best to remember to snap some pix. Since I got my iPhone I always have a camera handy. :)

It took me a long while to come up with somewhere to tie it off. I looked at every possibility but they were either hard to reach or wouldn't clear the hardtop rocket launchers. It just came to me one day. Must have been the scenery at the dock that inspired me.

Such a shame to have a beach and marina in a college town. :lol: :lol: :lol:

LF: That is the rigger I used as well. Hard to find. Seems like I ordered from Fla. The gold spike matches my 19' Lee riggers. A few tips:

o get the tigress kit with black line and cork ball
o I mounted mine just ahead of the center plate of the hardtop launchers
o to center I did this

- measure using the launcher plate (it is already centered)
- drill one hole and bolt thru to hold in place
- get someone to line it using the engines or some center line
- mark holes
- remove, drill, mount

o I used SS bolts, lock washers, nuts
o don't forget a good dose of clear silicone in and around the holes

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As promised I took a bunch of pix over the weekend. I'll upload tonight. If someone could kindly post instructions to get the pix on the board I will be glad to share. I snapped details of both the center rigger and the Hatteras-style setup for the outriggers.

It was a beautiful Easter weekend in NC. The only thing that kept me from a stream trip was slow fishing reports and cool water. The seas were <2' for 4 days. Amazing!

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Hey Mega-

I sent you a PM with my email... I don't know how to post pictures yet either...

I got my outriggers double rigged over the weekend with fresh mono and hal-locks... so much nicer then before!

Looking to set up the Lee center rigger now. The rear two holes in the base line up perfect with the roof rod rack base, so the install should be a no brainer... remove the two bolts from the rod rack, reinstall through the center rigger base and rack, drill two new holes, silicone, bolt, done!

Just gotta figure a spot for routing the lines to keep away from the upper rods. Maybe if I had similar scenery for inspiration... 8) but for now will have to settle with pics.

I found the best price on the 14' center rigger and base from Crook and Crook (www.tackletogo.com). They were able to special order the gold tip and had it sent directly from Lee for no extra charge... Total cost for both was only $235.

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Best i can tell the only way to upload pictures is to post them on a sharing site and then post a link.

I did it recently for some pictures of my bow thruster installation, and I am pretty sure it worked.

I used google's share site (picasa), it was easy to set up and free. it then gave me a link that I posted in my thread. I have heard that you can use photobucket as well but I have not used that one.

i there is an easier better way to post them I am all for hearing about it,
good luck!