Cleaning Metal items on boat?

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
What do you all use to clean off this green contamination?
full

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can clean off the green. I use Colinite #850 Metal Wax or Flitz. Good stuff for metal, but be aware that the pitting in the chrome on those fittings cannot be polished away. That is actual holes or openings in the chrome covering of the bronze fitting. The bronze is a very good stable metal for that type of fitting and will last longer than you do, but it is plated with chrome to make it look pretty. Without occasional polishing the salt will eventually get to the plating and expose the underlying bronze, which develops a green patina when exposed to the elements. The Colinite or Flitz will make it look much better but not like new. The fittings usefulness is not compromised however.

Last edited:
Reactions: A&J Outdoors

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
You can clean off the green. I use Colinite #850 Metal Wax. Good stuff for metal, but be aware that the pitting in the chrome on those fittings cannot be polished away. That is actual holes or openings in the chrome covering of the bronze fitting. The bronze is a very good stable metal for that type of fitting and will last longer than you do, but it is plated with chrome to make it look pretty. Without occasional polishing the salt will eventually get to the plating and expose the underlying bronze, which develops a green patina when exposed to the elements. The Colinite will make it look much better but not like new. The fittings usefulness is not compromised however.
Thank you, I did see the pitting, but I would like to clean off the green and then use a metal polish now and then to keep the green away. I'll look for Colinite.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
All good info above by Partially Tied.....

Just one thing to add: The green patina (verdigris) is actually bronze's way of protecting itself (it's the copper in the bronze that does it). Ever seen an old penny left outside... I'm sure you've seen the Statue of Liberty!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I’d use Noxon or Brasso to clean. Then follow up with Quick-Glo cleaner and polish.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors