Cushion Inner Liner Replacement

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looking for some thoughts on how best to replace the clear liner that envelopes the foam on the fish box cushions. Mine have both torn loose from the foam and it acts as a huge sponge when it gets wet.

I've removed the foam and squeezed as much water as I could from the foam and let them dry completely but am unsure as to the best approach for a permanent fix.

Is there something I could purchase from an upholstery shop that would seal the foam and make it waterproof?

Thanks for all ideas.

seasick

Reaction score
You need closed cell foam. Search the web for marine foam. The type of foam you will find at upholstery shops is not the right stuff. If you want to go the less expensive route, find a inexpensive outdoor cushion at Wallmart /Target etc. that is about the same thickness and as big as your existing cushion. Cut open the new cushion, remove the foam, cut to size and use it in your cushions. It will usually be less expensive than buying the marine foam.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Take it out of the outer cover, and use a small garbage bag or supermarket platsic bag and duck tape the opening, put a few pin holes it so it doesn't pop when you plop your butt on it. Leave it loose not toigt fitting, and be carefull getting cushion back into cover.

Take foam out of the cover to dry it, leave in sun for two days, ond day per side, they take a while to dry otherwise will stink of mildew.

Been there, done that.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've gotten the foam dry and actually thought about the garbage bad method. I think that's the way I'll take care of it. Thanks