DeHumidifier

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Anyone ever consider a portable DeHumidifier in their cabin?
I have been using 2 of the Damprid containers for the last couple of years, but getting tired of the mess and spilling of them when I forget to remove them before launching. Even totally clogged up one of the sink drains when one spilled into sink and had to remove all the plumbing and chip out the hardened white pellets to get it cleared.

Anyway, I found this and thought it might be a better solution, but never hear anyone getting into these types for their cabins: http://www.atlasairpurifier.com/p/48972 ... table.html

I think being that it is portable, I can rig it to drain into the sink so it never fills up and stops when away for extended periods.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think using a real dehumidifier has to be an improvement over the damprid products. They do work, but have lots of inherit problems. Disposal of the water will kill your grass! Ask me how I know this. Get it on your fingers and it burns..Ask me how I know this. :?
I looked at the one from WM, but it just circulates warm air. The air is already over 100 degrees and humidity is near 100% this summer, so mildew if fighting me all the way.

By putting a small fan in the cabin to run all the time, plus the damprids, it is working,but I am going through these refills every couple of weeks.

Just want to know if anyone has used a real dehumidifier like the one I posted and how well it worked. I wonder if anyone has considered these or not and why not a good idea?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
ROBERTH;

I have an "Evaflow" portable that I use in my 232 cabin. Plugs in to my electrical outlet on my finger pier with an extension cord and I just let it run 24/7.

Every 2-3 days I roll back my mooring cover, get into the cabin and empty it. It has a clear tube that the water runs out of and when I tilt it up, a shotglass full of water comes thru the tube into my sink. As you all know, it drains out the thru hull and we start over.

When we go for a cruise, it's just part of my ritual to unplug and store it away. This Evaflow unit works perfectly.

One more thing..When it gets full of water, it just overflows thru the clear tubing and runs into the sink. I said I empty it every few days, but it'll keep draining on it's own if you leave for a vacation or something.

wlewis

Reaction score
West Marine makes a simple, yet effective, fan than runs all the time. They actually call it a dehumidifier. I used it in the cabin of my Gulfstream and it really helped.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I run a regular 30+ pint dehumidifier in the cabin of my 330 Express. Works great. Tried Damp Rid, etc. but with FL heat and humidity, worked only marginally.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Have never used a dehumidifier on the boat but have use a small fan. Once we started using the fan - no more cabin mildew. I would assume the west marine one on the link does the same. Just keep the air moving and mildew will stay away. Not sure if it would work as well when you get further south and the humidity grows c

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I agree with the fan. I have had better results using it. I think I will take the plunge and get the humidifier as I think it will be an improvement.

G8RDave

Reaction score
Like noXuse I use the DampRid hanger. Works great, smells great. And cheap at Lowes or Home Depot. Each one last several weeks even in Tampa where it tends to be hot and humid. :)

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
ROBERTH;

I said "Eva-Flow" in my message above; My de-humidifier is called "Eva-Dry."

Just in case you were considering this unit.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just to follow up with you all, I received my Atlas and in just a few days, it was nearly full. It works great, small, lightweight and easy to stow away when launching.
I rigged up a drain line by drilling a slightly undersized hole in the water storage tray and pulled a silicone aquarium airline through and ran it to the sink drain right next to where the Atlas is sitting.
I am very pleased so far with this and hope it holds up long term.

Wally World

Reaction score
I bought my boat in Alabama and brought it up to NJ. It was full of mildew smell and the cushions were very heavy due to moisture. I did a damp bomb for a couple of bucks and have the West Marine Fan in there ever since. Much nicer than a dehumidifier and easier as well. Best thing I ever purchased, it has been running 24/7 ever since and it smells like roses! I would recommend the fan that NEM talked about as the warm dry air keeps the moisture to a minimum.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think that might work in some areas, but where I live, the humidity is extreme during summer and it is over 100 degrees on some days and especially in the cabin. I don't see how a warm air affect will add much help in these conditions.
I do think the air circulation is the key though! Just a fan running was helping stop the mildew, but I wanted to also remove the moisture.
The dehumidifier I purchased is very small and easy to stow away. Only takes the seconds to unplug and stow in cabin cabinet. Since it is self draining, I don't have to even worry about draining it.

Looks like there are several options here. I believe the warm air is excellent for winter though! :D

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Update for ya'll....I picked up the WM pancake style dehumidifier since temps now getting down below freezing.
For now, running both the Atlas and the WM model for a couple of weeks and put a humidity gauge in the cabin. Comparing to one on deck, about 10% average lower humidity, plus a few degrees warmer. I haven't yet found the temp in the cabin to go below freezing per the lowest reading overnight on the temp monitor. I am sure soon, the temps will overwhelm the capability of the pancake to keep it above freezing.

If it gets much colder, will unplug the Atlas and take inside for season as it will not be needed during winter time as humidity levels go way down and the water it extracts would freeze anyhow.

The Atlas with the drain hose I put in worked great and removed a lot of water from the air. I haven't seen any signs of mold/mildew and smells good as well. :mrgreen: