Do you wash down the fuel tank compartment?

FREEDOM!!!

Was reading the owners manual and it recommends periodically removing the deck plate and washing down the fuel tank. I've never heard of anyone doing this.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
i do it a few times a year - just spray fresh water to all areas of the tank that I can get to.

seasick

Generally no, but that's because my tank is poly. The Care and Maintenance section of the original owners manual does mention rinsing the tank.

Rustygaff

My poly tank gets pretty moldy. A couple times a season I will remove all the pie plates and spray some bleach/detergent mix into the bilge area and on the tank. Hose it all down and pump out the water. I put up all the canvas and leave the plates off so everything can dry out.

SkunkBoat

once a year while its out for the winter. I pull up the full deck hatch. Clean with soapy water. Let it dry all winter. Reseal the hatch in the spring.

jap201

Bleach is bad for any stainless steel down in the bilge area. Soap is better. Letting it dry over the winter is excellent

JustEnough

Who said you can't teach an old dog... I've always been concerned about rust or corrosion and actually avoid it.

Thanks for the tip.