drain plug -

b-stylee

Reaction score
ready to launch my 84' tournament today (first season with boat), grab one of the drain plugs that seller provided & try to insert - too big !

go to boat shop, purchase 1/2" Bronze Garboard Drain Plug, screw it in & fits. but .......

the drain plug tube is not threaded, only the outside ring on the drain plug pipe allows the drain plug to thread around. not a threaded tube. since my boat will be on a mooring, i'm quite concerned about the integretity of this seal.

unable to find a 1/2 "T DRAIN PLUG" or another expandable version.

any suggestions, ideas or solutions would be helpful.

thx,

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i'm not completely following, but if there is any suspicion; i would install a brand new garboard plug setup.

i used T plugs for trailer boats, but i would be very concerned about them for an in-water boat. ron

b-stylee

Reaction score
seems as if previous owner had used a Garboard Drain Plug, but cut-off all of the treads except for 2-3. reason for this is that the drain tube is too narrow for a 1/2 Garboard Drain Plug set up. so outside rim remained flush with stern.

i used a rubber plug on the inside of the bilge compartment and put another rubber plug on the outside.

since sitting on a mooring, thought the double plug would be safe.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i don't know. if it were my boat, i would not trust rubber plugs for a slipped/moored boat.

GLGrady20

Reaction score
I use a "T" expandable plug on my boat. I leave it in the water for weeks at a time and have had no problem with it, doesn't leak a drop. I also boat in fresh water, I'm sure salt water is another story.