Dry Tortugas via Key West

alfa1023

Reaction score
Things might have changed, but when we were there 2 years ago, we were able to anchor right off the beach next to the remants of the old docks. My stern anchor was probably 5' feet from the beach, and we could easily wade to shore. We stayed anchored there for 2 days with no problems. The first night we anchored to the southwest of the Fort/east of Hospital Key (in large part to get away from Bird Key) and had the wind come up during the night which required us to take turns being on watch.

The one thing you couldn't do was tie off to the new docks for any longer than it took to go in and register (and receive your "book" of rules).

Also, they had pulled in all the anchor buoys from the perimeter of the park for maintenance. They told us it was ok to anchor in these spots that were normally off limits to anchoring - we just had to be sure we anchored in a sandy area and didn't damage any coral / rocks.

Someone mentioned taking the northern route from Keywest. We took the southern route and it was a piece of cake. I sat down with my charts and set up a bunch of waypoints staying far enough from the various keys and shoals. I have to say it is a cool site when you first see the tip of the Fort on the horizon.

And we were surprised by how far out we still had VHF communications with Key West. We hailed our marina about halfway between Fort Jefferson and Marquesas and we heard each other loud and clear.

lgusto

Reaction score
I've heard a lot about anchoring, and more generally in the variation of ranger enthusiasm for enforcing rules. For example, one friend was allowed to stay tied to the dock overnight during a slow stretch.

Nonetheless, I'm taking an inflatable dinghy and more types of ground tackle than I probably need.

Thanks all, keep the suggestions coming please and I promise to share a full trip report.

Larry

ahill

Reaction score
Fuel burn might be an issue.
I used to run my 250 Mako cuddy with twin 150 (1988) Johnsons to Bimini from Boca regularly for 10 years.
Always took 42 to 48 gals. in about 2.5 hrs for about 65 miles.
Once we had a bad chop, nothing big, that slowed me down to where it took 5hrs and 83 gals. On & off throttle constantly which ate up fuel.

lgusto

Reaction score
Back home in Maine after a great season in Florida culminating in a trip to the Dry Tortugas. The DT is one of the most incredible places on earth. The clarity of the water, abundance of wildlife, history, tranquility and beauty make it a worthwhile adventure.

We departed Key West with three guys, 175 gallons of fuel, 13 scuba tanks, 30 gallons of water, 200 pounds of ice and various other provisions. We had a 4' following sea and just lumbered our way west at 10 knots. The trip out took about seven hours but it was a nice day and a fun ride. Burn was about 40 gallons.

We camped on Garden Key for 6 days, anchoring in the harbor overnight and fishing and diving nearby during the day. We lived on Snapper and cold beer (ice is available from the daily ferry for $7 a 10# bag). Snorkeling around Fort Jefferson was like swimming in the coolest aquarium you've ever seen. Scuba was amazing mostly because the water was so clear you could easily see the bottom from 60 feet. We mostly just drove around until we found something interesting and then jumped in.

The rangers were great, the coast guard guys were great, but the FWC guys were a real PITA with militant attitudes and a never ending stream of what not to do. At one point I became so exasperated I asked if they could just save time and tell us what we could do. Needless to say that didn't help matters. In any case, planning should include a lot of time studying all the regulations covering the DT since there is federal, state, local and other overlapping rules. Asking five different people on the island about all the rules resulted in 15 different answers, all conflicting.

The trip back was delayed a day because of weather but upon departure we made 20 knots stopping at Ellis Rock on the Marquesas to finish off the last of our scuba tanks. One final fantastic dive was a great ending to the trip. We finished up with almost no air, ice, booze, cigars or fuel and partied in Key West till the cows came home. Can't wait to go back.

alfa1023

Reaction score
Larry,

Thanks for the report. Other than the slow ride out, sounds like a great trip. DT is a fantastic place for all the reasons you mentioned. Sounds like you had a bit more company - we have never had to deal with FWC or the CG on our trips.

Trying to plan our next trip. Unfortunately, looks like it might not be till next year.

Jim

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Awesome trip report!. I am a native Floridian and some FWF officers are cool and others are complete jerks, but alas that is how it is int law enforcement. If we have time and the seas are fair when we are in the Keys in June we may attempt the trip.

lgusto

Reaction score
Getting ready for this year's trip to the Dry Tortugas. Last year was just way too much fun.

We're departing Key West Saturday morning 5/24 for about a week. Anyone interested in grouping up for the trip over or back?