Dumb question-getting on plane in shallow water

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I go out of my channel to the river there are parts that are 2 feet or slightly less. I struggle to get out often dragging the prop . Meanwhile I see guys going out at 20 mph on plane. My dealer said give it a try--that being on plane takes the prop up a bit.

This seems counterintuitive. I thought my problem was with a 225 the bracket was making the prop drag more in shallow water. I tried it today and I was going about 20mph and holding my breath seeing the depth meter around 2 feet , but tide was a bit high.

Help me out--does going out on plane help in shallow conditions?? Thanks

gw204

Reaction score
Yes, the boat will ride higher in the water when on plane.

But why chance it? If you hit an underwater obstruction at 20 kts, you're screwed. Be patient and take it slow.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Remember that slow is 6 knots or less. Anything above that, which starts to raise the bow of the boat will bury the stern causing it to hit bottom.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
gw204 and NA2P are right..

I don't know how far you have to go to get out of your channel into deeper water, but if I had 2 feet to deal with I would trim my engines up and go slow no matter how far the distance..
To me, the chance of damaging props or a lower unit far outweighs the convienence of a shorter travel time from planing.

gilpri

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Slow down and enjoy the view - when you hit bottom at 20 mph you'll think fuel is cheap.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Always Remember

When going fast ... bad things happen FAST.
I go through 2 feet of water to get to my channel into Chesapeake Bay all of the time. I am going 2 kts with the motor up, all of the way, and the boats trim tabe ALL the way down.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Going out a river can mean sand or rocks, sand being the better of the two. People that have been doing it for years may know the best path (or just deeper pockets) and feel safe doing it. If you have a bracket, the motor should be mounted higher than one mounted on the transom, not much but higher.

Personally I'd idle out with the motors way up.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
plane

Local knowledge is paramount. The other guys may be buzzing by you b/c they know where it is safe to run that fast. They may have done it once and created a breadtrail on their GPS and know exactly where they are. Do you notice it's the same boats doing it?
From personal experience, I know where I can cut across the bar (except on a minus tide) and watch other boaters literally 20' away beached and kicking up sand.
Basically do whatever you are comfortable doing.