Electornics Box Power source

fullphase

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am trying to trace the main power wire that is coming into my electronics box (hardtop) I would like to replace the wire, as it seems small for what i have mounted in there and a bit corroded. The wire leaves the box in the hardtop then goes into the round mounting bars for the hardtop. not really sure where it goes from there. Not sure if it goes directly to the back batteries, or to the from another fuse panel that is beneath the helm.
thoughts....?

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Most likely either jumps off the fuse panel under the helm with its own fuse/breaker or its fed by a fuse/breaker near the battery switch.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If it's like my boat, there are identification codes on the wire. Take a look where you would expect it to be (see above post) and find the same color/size wire with the same codes on it. If come up with a couple of wires that you think it might be, one way is to Ohm each end of the wire. Disconnect the two likely wires, them use a DVM on Ohms (resistance) and touch one lead to each wire. If you've got the ends of the same wire, there will be 0 (or close to it) resistance. If the two ends are not of the same wire, you'll see infinity. If you don't have a DVM, it's a great tool to have around (both house and boat) and you can get a decent, basic one for under $20.