Enclosing a 226 transom or adding a bracket

bigk23surf

Reaction score
Anyone every enclosed a 226 transom or added a bracket to it? I have been debating the idea of doing this. I see a couple different ways to do it. I was thinking about leaving the motor where it is and just adding a fiberglass wall closing the motor well off. This would have to come about 3 inches into the cockpit tho. Another would be add one of the Stainless Marine 9 inch brackets and add the wall to the motor well. This would let the wall mount flush and not have to come into the cockpit. The last way and most expensive would be add the Grady Drive bracket and make it just like the 228. Anyone have any opinions on doing this or seen any that have had it done?

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are different style splashwell areas on various years 226s. What year is yours? Why is it that you want to construct a wall across this area?

bigk23surf

Reaction score
The hull is a 94 so its the current livewell. I have had a couple waves wash up thru the current splashwell when backing down on fish. They immediately washed out so I was not concerned but if would be nice to have a permanent wall instead of the folding one.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I understand. Family member has a 1998 and experiences similar problems. Sometimes the snapclips holding splash shield pop loose and and it falls.
Wonder it you could devise a replacement for this piece, that is lower in design, to allow motor to trim up, and swings open on bottom one way only. It would stop water from pushing in, but swing open to allow cockpit water to flow out. You could install it in place of existing piece, therefore not loosing any further cockpit space, or expensive alternatives.
Just a thought, Mike.

striped bass

Reaction score
Big:

Good move to make you boat safer. Read David Pascoe's review of notched transoms as very unsafe which will reinforce your decision. You are, however, in for a lot of work with your current plan. I am sure you have thought about the option of moving over to a 228G. My suggestion would be just that; make a clean break and acquire a good condition 228G. Will save a lot of hassle and give you a Grady with a transom designed built for a Gil Bracket.

Best of success with whatever path you take.