Engine alarms

LeapFrog

Reaction score
My 250 OX66's have just started sounding the engine alarms as I back the boat from my slip, warmed up backing up slow or fast, or spinning in place (one fwd, one reverse)... both engines will cause the alarm... it stops immediately when the engines are placed back in neutral... Plenty of oil... Any thoughts??? Thanks!

Rumford Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Some thing to check (if you have not already)....is check the oil reservoir under the cowling for the appropirate oil level. The reservoir tank could be full, but the under cowling tank empty. Has the remote oil tank oil filter been replaced recently? Just a couple of thoughts.....good luck.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Thanks Rumford... Yep, plenty of oil under the cowling too... had the problem with the external oil tank pump on my maiden voyage a couple years ago... the marina installed new filters and pumps on both at that time... The oil was my first thought, but the alarms are only at idle or just above when reverse is involved and the alarms stop immediately after putting the engines in neutral... I would have expected the low oil level to give me problems at planing speed, but not a peep while running...
Not sure why it happens with reverse??? slow idle or troll in forward is 100% okay (or at least alarm-less)...
Keep the ideas coming...

seasick

Reaction score
LeapFrog said:
My 250 OX66's have just started sounding the engine alarms as I back the boat from my slip, warmed up backing up slow or fast, or spinning in place (one fwd, one reverse)... both engines will cause the alarm... it stops immediately when the engines are placed back in neutral... Plenty of oil... Any thoughts??? Thanks!
Do you have command link gauges? If so, what did the displays show?
If you get a chance, run one motor only at a time to see if the alarm can be isolated to a specific engine.

Weird....

LeapFrog

Reaction score
I don't have the command link gauges, just a VERY loud buzzer, so not much help there... It is only the port engine that is setting off the alarm... I can go in reverse for short bursts... if placed in reverse, after 2 1/2 seconds the alarm will sound and the engine will go into neutral, at either light throttle or nailing it, consistently every time... the alarm immediately stops once the shifter is placed in neutral... no issues with the starboard engine...

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Interesting... with both keys turned to "on", but the engines not started, shifting the port engine into reverse will cause the alarm to sound and the engine shifts to neutral!!! again with a 2 1/2 second delay...
I have a second station in the tower and tested it this evening... same results...
I didn't see any binding or interference in the linkages... will get a friend to shift while I inspect things closer later in the week...

LeapFrog

Reaction score
I don't know which alarm is the cause of the buzzer behind the ignition keys... I can walk down to the boat, turn the keys to "On", but never start the engines... put the port engine into reverse... count one mississippi, two mississippi, and before I hit three, the buzzer blasts and then (with the cowling off), I can watch the linkage at the engine shift into neutral!!! The alarm continues to sound until I move the throttle back to neutral... all while the engine hasn't even been started or the boat moved off the lift! VERY strange!!!
The engine will go into reverse and will back the boat up for a couple seconds until the alarm sounds... :bang

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok Leap need to look at your gauges and see if the oil indicator or temp indicator is flashing. I'm sure I read you post wrong but you said you can see the shift linkage move into neutral, by itself?? And both engines sound the alarm, at the same time right? Don't believe anything in the binnacle would cause that. In fact, I don't believe the ECU even knows if the motor is in neutral or reverse. Need to think about this awhile :hmm

freddy063

Reaction score
when it affects more than one thing I allways look too a common point , grounds come to mine, check your grounds and see what you find.Uner the dash, everywhere.ok , sorry miss read, only one motor ,if it's in alarm when it;s not running have to be a wire trouble. .in simpler terms, a alarm is a open or closed loop, my motors only alarms on oil and heat, check you alarm points for them and see what you find, you can stick a wire to short out the alarm point to test the sensors.do you understand?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Freddy's right on about grounds, bad one will make you got nuts. Not sure about sticking wires anywhere but I would pull the float out of the engine oil tank and manually trip the float to see if the alarm sounds. The temp senders are easy, just jump the terminals to trip.