Evenrude ETEC

imcnee

Reaction score
Still looking for a Tournament 225. There one with a 225hp ETEC which is a repower. Has anyone had experience with these engines?

richie rich

Reaction score
If you like 2 strokes, they are good motors...just like all the rest....they are a far cry from the old fichts......I have heard good things at my marina from guys who have them...the same could be said from owners of 4's....its a personal choice

Bill_N

Reaction score
One of my buddies has twin 250's on his HS 29. They burn a lot more fuel than my F225's, and the RAM oil is expensive. They also overheat when we're trolling. He claims it's from turbulence.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ryoung said:
You might want to look at the etecownersgroup.com site. There is a lot of information there.

Sorry for stepping in on your thread....
but
Thanks for this site link ryoung, I have been looking into getting e-tec for my repower and theis is going ot help me out allot.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They shouldn't overheat when trolling, my '96 Yami's troll all day and not overheat. ETECS can use the XD50 (DI oil) or the XD100 but it has to be programmed to use the XD100 and it is expensive.

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Don't know where you live, but I've run across two Tournament 225's for sale in the Northeast. One at Spellmans Marine in Hampton, NY, I think it's an '01 with an ETEC on it (might be the same one you're asking about) and the other is a '93 at Cape Yachts in Massachusetts. The '93 has a Yamaha 225 but the lower unit is fried, so you either need to replace it or repower. Good luck, we love ours.

Bill_N

Reaction score
Grog said:
They shouldn't overheat when trolling, my '96 Yami's troll all day and not overheat. ETECS can use the XD50 (DI oil) or the XD100 but it has to be programmed to use the XD100 and it is expensive.

Agreed. The only thing impressive about these engines is the acceleration.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Bill_N said:
One of my buddies has twin 250's on his HS 29. They burn a lot more fuel than my F225's, and the RAM oil is expensive. They also overheat when we're trolling. He claims it's from turbulence.

Yes they are much worse on fuel than F225's. I've seen testing where they used the same boat and different engines and a single E-Tec burned nearly 2 1/2 gph more than the Yamaha four strokes. I think this year fuel will be going up again and the poor fuel economy will be very noticeable. I've seen their XD-100 for sale at marinas for $ 40-$50 a gallon as well, what a ripoff.

Plus once Yamaha's next generation of four strokes comes out the resale on a boat with E-Tecs will be just horrible, and it wouldn't surprise me if Evinrude goes out of business too.

markb8608

Reaction score
Extremely satisfied with 225 GE and 225 E-tec

Hi
I am not sure where the last poster got his information on fuel consumption of the Etec.
I am not a fan either way on "brands". I can change my loyalty in a second if the engine or electronics are not up to snuff. I have an Etec 2008 225HP on a 225 tournament. I can make two roundtrips out thru Barnegate Inlet, troll all day and not use all of the auxillary tank. I live about 20miles from the inlet so it is approx. 80 miles plus trolling.It is certainly better than my Ford explorer. I am very satisfied with the gas consumption.
Mark

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok, I have to step in here as well. I have a 225 E-Tec, which is programmed to run the XD100 oil, as its cleaner and leaner. I get the oil for 34.77/gallon from suncoastoil.com. Also, I was having the overheating while trolling problem, it was traced to me having a quick disconnect fitting on the engine flush mount (also where the motor "pees"). Once I put the Evinrude fitting on there, it pees normally and has NEVER overheated since.

A good friend of mine has an 02 20' Grady with the 225 Yamaha 4S, and when we run together, our fuel consumption is roughly the same. Whoever said the e-tec burns 2.5 gph more than the Yammi is sadly mistaken.

As for the resale value, its not great, that I cannot rebut. The only thing I will say is, for those of us with older boats that can't handle the weight of a 225 4S, and don't want the nimble power of a 150 4S, the E-tecs are the perfect answer. They are clean, run like tanks, require very little maintenance (none for the first 3 yrs/300 hours), weigh about the same as the old 2S, and have amazing power and torque.

I repowered with the E-Tec because of all the reasons above, and after 2 seasons with it on, could not be happier with it.

Just my $.02

Bren

wlewis

Reaction score
I've had a 250 E Tec for almost 4 years and it's been a great motor in every respect. Knock on wood, no problems at all.

richie rich

Reaction score
The older Etecs did have a slight overheat problem at slow troll....you will notice the new larger etecs have drilled through holes on the leading egde of the botom end for this exact reason, so they solved the problem. If you buy the XD100 in bulk form from your dealer it should be in the $30/gal range,,,remember when using XD100 you use half of what a Yamaha HPDI or other 2s uses at the 50:1 ratio...they are all good motors...wouldn't think twice about either 2 cycle....the new Yamaha 4s is very light according to specs.....but you will pay for that lightweight technology whe it comes out this spring....it looks to be great....lets see how it does overall cost wise vs a 2s....anyways...all the new motors have pretty good reputations...may come down to service costs and your local availability.

Renovator

Reaction score
GW Voyager,

In Jan '10 "Sport Fishing" mag, they have many boat and motor retail prices listed. They publish that the Yammie 4 S F225 TLR is $ 21,320.00 and the Etech 225 HO is $ 21,615.00. They also show the Yamaha F225 XCA version at $23,125.00, not sure what the difference is, maybe something in the valve train.