Evinrude 200 woes...looking for advice

blackgrady

Reaction score
well, the port motor is acting up again. it will not fire on the port bank. all 3 cyls dead. when you run it, the motor never seems to get even warm, even the bank that has spark.

so far this engine has had:
flywheel with magnets
coil pack on the side acting up
plugs (ql77's)
plug wires
6 carbs rebuilt
all 6 checkvalves
all new fuel hoses
new vro pump and oil lines and all accessories
new tstats
new waterpump

any ideas? they are 86 200's with 400 hours, im getting ready for a repower (hiding money from the wife) but just wanted to get it through this season so i can sell these anchors or put one on a bayboat.

I'm thinking stator, but any ideas or a mechanics opinion would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Steve
PS tank problem is solved, racors and the front tank is now full, all seems to be well on that end.

wanderer200

Reaction score
Powerpack for that bank. It supplies spark to all three and ground all three for shut-off.(I had one with a bad internal ground that would not shut off three when you turned the key.)
You can unplug the stator and do an ohms check. I have a manual for the specs somewhere, it may take me a while to find it.

blackgrady

Reaction score
i replaced the powerpack on that side. the control box that sits behind the flywheel.

was thinking stator is weak/no spark hence the no warm up. the starboard bank plugs always seem wet wet, like its a weak spark. i just paid to have all this done but the mechanic that did it is on vacation. i wanted to go fishing before the end of the season :wink: