F 225 Water Pump replacement

dduflo

Reaction score
How many ft lbs or torque should I use on the bolts that hold the lower unit on? I thought I would use NeverSeeze but wonder ir I should use Locktite instead? If so what color? It might not make much difference but the boat is used in fresh water only.

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Locktite not necessary they have lockwashers between the bolt head and flat washer. Use a good grease at the threads and tighten with even pressure. There are dowels that won't let the lower unit go out of linewhen coming together with the motor. For tightening just steady even presure and it will stop turning. I don't know any mechanic that tightens those bolts with a torque wrench. Also, make sure to scrape the metal to metal contact of any salt residue and the like before reinstalling.

seasick

Reaction score
You should check the service manual but for my 150 Yami, the LU bolts get 29 foot pounds. I use anti seize also.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure about the torque but I just coat the threads of the bolts with blue Yamaha grease before I put the lower unit back on. Never had a problem with them seizing on me.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The torque specs are determined by the bolt diameter and thread.

It's also 29 ft lb for the 90 hp Yamaha. I think they all use the same bolts on the lower unit.

dduflo

Reaction score
Thank you
Just the data i was looking for.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tip:

If you use a box end wrench with bare hand, you will never overtighten the bolt, unless you like pain.