fake teak doors

miker

Reaction score
i sanded and redid all the trim, the foot rests,whats the deal with the stupid doors,i think they look horrible. any one have a way to cover them with some thing,not paint

no problem

Reaction score
Maybe try a surplus or salvage yard for a set of starboard doors. If you have to resize them it machines like wood. probably not much more work than refinishing wood, and would last forever. I say this becouse i saw some for sale at a local place recently.Hope this helps.

3rd Day

Reaction score
I helped a buddy replace his on a 25 Sailfish with Starboard. Turned out real nice and no more worries.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you're asking about making the doors look better, the following came from Grady White's web site.

Q - How do I restore the look of my boat’s simulated wood-grain Duratrim?

A - On our older model boats, after years of exposure to the elements, the Duratrim simulated wood-grain trim may begin to fade. There is a product on the market called Penetrol that is excellent for restoring the faded Duratrim. Simply apply a small amount, allow to dry for a few minutes, and wipe off excess with a clean rag. You may need to repeat the process or allow the Duratrim to soak overnight if it is really weathered. Penetrol is available in most hardware and paint stores nationwide. If you have any questions about Penetrol or where to find it, call the Flood Company toll free at 1-800-321-3444.

I used this stuff on my 89 Overnighter and it made it look terrific.

Gary 89 Overnighter

3rd Day

Reaction score
gwwannabe, if it's the same Penetrol we got at work, it's a spray lubricant and is readily available.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Penetrol is made for wood but also brings out the old simulated wood grain plastic.
Be careful and don't pile the rags you use because they could ignite and start a fire.

blackgrady

Reaction score
just replace it...the walls are structural and after 20 years are total junk. alittle bit of money now and you will never have to mess with it again.

im re doing everything at the helm with starboard. bought the door off ebay for 60 bucks including the lock assembly and key (new old stock). panel blade in the table saw to cut the door. almost done but you get the idea. the white stuff is just tape left from running it through the saw.

with a friend it took about 3 hours. remember you have all the templates in the boat. trace, cut, install.

2010-03-1495172755.jpg

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's going to look great when you're finished. I have to agree if there's rot it just makes sense to replace it with the starboard.

miker

Reaction score
thanks for the idea, i like that starboard,since there is not a bit of rot,it should be easy