Filling holes on Hard-Top and electronics box

antaris

Reaction score
Hello all,

here's a simple (?) question that I'd like to put forward... just in case:

on my recently-acquired GW there are multiple screw holes on the Hard-top (old beamer, old GPS antenna, unknown holes etc). How can I fill them in? Some holes are small diameter and deep (well, the top's thickness) - therefore a very thick/viscous epoxy would not fill the full depth of the holes.

Would car epoxy do? Is there are more "liquid"/fluid alternative? I was thinking of taping the holes from underneath and filling from the top...

Also, after hardened, I could just put a drip of top-coat to seal and protect from UV?

Many thanks!

gw204

Reaction score
The "car" epoxy you're talking about is most likely polyester resin and should work fine in this situation. However, I would probably look for something a bit more tailored towards the marine environment. The sample kit from Raka should give you enough to do a fair number of holes depending on the size.

http://store.raka.com/epoxysamplekit.aspx

Drill the holes out as much as you need to get any old caulking out, and try not to poke through the bottom glass (unless there's already a hole there). Counter sink the tops. Tape over the bottom of the holes as you said where needed. Tape over the holes on the top and then cut around the hole w/ an Exacto knife and pull the tape exposing the hole. Blue painters tape only!

Mix up a little epoxy and try your best with whatever you have lying around to spread some of that unthickened epoxy onto the sides and bottom of the hole. A small screw driver, one of you kids' crafting paint brushes, a toothpick, etc. Don't use any of your wife's stuff though...they don't like that. :D I like to hit each hole once, and then come back and do it again. Then mix up some thickened epoxy using the cabosil that comes in the kit. Make it about the consistency of mayonnaise. Using a smally syringe (I like the West System ones...you can sometimes find them at Ace Hardware), suck up the the thickened epoxy and inject it into the hole. If the syringe won't suck it up, you can pull the plunger out and load it from the top (messy). Push the syringe all the way to the bottom of the hole and as you squeeze the epoxy out, pull the syringe. That ensures no air bubbles. Once cured, sand down the patch and then apply your gelcoat. For sanding this type of stuff, I like a small flap wheel on the Dremel.

The syringes...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=11109

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Brian said it all, the only thing i like to add is, instead of a syringe, i like to use a regular clear plastic bag, add your thickened epoxy, cut a slit in one corner and start squeezing like the bakers on a birthday cake. I like to leave about 1/8" space between the hard top and the hole so when the epoxy dries you can fill the rest with marine tex or even gel cote.

Good luck with the project and shoot some pictures of that "Greek" GW of yours.

antaris

Reaction score
Wow Brian, I am obliged - this is great.... tape on top, too, countersinking... all the right tips.

Great, will get to it in the next few weeks. Gotta source the materials and wait for the weather to improve a little.

Hey Giorgos, the bag idea I've used with wall plaster in the past. Might be convenient in this application, too. As for photos, I am waiting for her to get "tarted up" first! Will get photos some online for sure, though!

Many thanks for the help guys, seriously appreciated! :wow