Final Upgrade of Seafarer 228

GulfSea

Reaction score
I thought I would pass on what I've done to my 228 since buying it last November. I suppose we never completely finish changes but this one is pretty much where I want it and oh so nice to use! Anyway, here's the list:

Auto-Pilot, Raymarine S1000; awesome addition for ease of navigation and saving fuel.

Underwater Lights, Coastal Night Lights; I chose green and have them mounted on either side of the transom and switched on/off from the helm. I've only been out once when it was dark enough to use. Bait fish and squid were moving in within 10 minutes! Can't wait for night trips next month.

Lowrance HDS-8's, the boat came with one and I added another for redundancy. Placement on the 228 was challenge for me but I finally decided to leave the one in the main box at the helm and added the other to the left side of the radio box above. I thought the radio box was not the best location but it turned out to be the best, most visible spot from the deck for everyone to see while fishing.

Lowrance HDS-8 Equipment
Ethernet, unbelievably efficient and easy to use. Everything can be cross accessed in real time via either display.
Structure Scan, I still don't understand how this thing works, BUT IT DOES! Great addition!
BR24 Radar, could no longer do without this one when they offered a big rebate. No fog worries anymore!

Sea Star Power-Assist, I posted earlier about this one and have had more opportunities to evaluate value. I'll just say this, "it only get's better and more valued!" I've found that I don't use the AP nearly as much since adding the power-assist. I obviously still use the AP extensively but before PA, I would use it for any run over a mile; now I only use it for about 2 miles or further. The PA has absolutely made the boat a pleasure to drive. Expensive but well worth the price since I plan to have the boat for a long, long time.

Auto-Tether, if you guys haven't heard of this or added it, look it up today. If you ever go out alone, this thing could save your life. It mounts on the helm and you carry the FOB in your pocket. It's essentially a wireless kill switch and it works! I do not go out alone without it. The FOB lives in a small leather pouch in the helm, when I start to go out my wallet & keys go in and the FOB comes out. So it's never forgotten.

Crow's Nest, I struggled over this one since it was so expensive but finally gave in as our area has a strong cobia season each spring. What I did not realize was the opportunity to see so much sea life that is not visible from deck level. The plans were to remove it at the end of the cobia season, but no way will that happen! It goes up every time out.

I've added a new foot rest at the helm; not really sure why this wasn't added at the factory? But it's a big comfort item. There are a few other small creature comfort things planned but for the most part, I'm done. If anyone has any questions or suggestions, fire away. This forum has been a great resource for learning and very much appreciated.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
I would love to see a couple pictures of the electronics layout and crows nest. I intend to have my aluminum guy fabricate one as soon as I find a design that fits the boat.

Where did you mount your S1000 pump? I plan on installing mine next to the trim tab pump under the starboard bunk but have concerns about heat damage due to lack of ventilation.

Thanks!

daveuch

Reaction score
Sounds like it couldn't have been done any better. Please post some pics.

From an interested owner of a 96 228.

GulfSea

Reaction score
I'll try to get some decent pictures and post. Seems when I hit the water, the last thing I'm thinking of is taking pictures. The S1000 pump was originally under the helm but when the power assist was installed, they moved it on under the right aft seat at the transom. After all these upgrades, I would have to say the auto pilot is the best of them all. Everyone and I mean everyone that drives it, loves that thing.

I had a 2 man crows nest installed. It pivots forward when trailered and is easy to put up; I had asked for a seat to be installed but didn't realize until putting it up for the 1st time it didn't have one. So that's the biggest thing I would suggest building in. Mine is fine as it is but I'm still trying to think of exactly how I want seating up there and will probably do that this winter sometime.