Fischer Panda generator issue

30marlin

Reaction score
Ran the generator a few weeks ago at the dock just to run it because it has been sitting for a month.
Wanted to change the oil before getting pulled out for the winter.
Ran it again for 10 minutes to warm the oil.
As I opened the deck hatch I could smell some smoke.
Though maybe just exhaust blowing in from over the gunnel.
Opened the sound enclosure and then a strong smell of what I though was wiring burning.
The fuel shut off valve and heat exchanger was dark looking and sooted.
Did not see any problem with the wiring.
Decided to run the engine and observe.
Could not see any smoke but eyes began burning and you could smell something and then I noticed a black dot on the exhaust manifold.
The casting developed a small hole. Right now can't tell if it rotted out or the casting was too thin and it just let go. Luckily it is just above were the water is injected and it did not spray water into the generator enclosure. This must have let go the week before when I ran the generator and I feel lucky the weather was lousy and I went to change the oil. Had I gone out I would have been running the generator with the heater running. This hole is pointing at the fuel shut off solenoid, the fuel feed line and the drain line from the injector. No telling how long it would have taken to develop a fire within the enclosure below deck.

This is a four year old FP 4200 PMS genny with 90 hours on it.

Attachments

• hole1.jpg
    hole1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,129

fischer

Reaction score
I have to think that's pretty unusual. Had to be a defective casting. You probably already did this but I'd call FP and order a new manifold and whatever gaskets you need. Maybe they'll comp you but after 4 years, if they did, it would be only because they're nice guys. Actually, they are pretty good guys...

30marlin

Reaction score
Yes I did. Ordered up a new and sent pictures. Fisher Panda stepped up and stood behind their product.
I am ecstatic. Not counting Grady it is nice to see true customer service, this is something you don't see much of these days. The people in Florida were nice to talk with.

Thank you so much Fischer Panda.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Nice to see FP excellent Customer Service again.
I had a prob and they walked me through the part swap and were very helpful as well. Good outfit.

fischer

Reaction score
Good for you and good for FP. I had a few issues with mine and always found them to be accessible and happy to help. Nice job!