Fixing my 228, autopilot and power steering question

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Hi all, been a while since I've been here, been fishing (140 pound bigeye tuna, 23 20-30 pound albacore, and a 70 pound bluefin this year. And I was a tuna virgin, so I didn't catch all of those and I was with a much more experienced buddy who put us on fish. Crazy good year!)

For the most stuff, I like how the 228 came from Grady but I've fixed some stuff and have more to fix.

I put in flap valves in the hoses that drain the deck. That fixed the water in the back of deck when two people are back there problem. The stock rubber flaps were not so much.

I want to add autopilot and power steering. Right now, I'm looking at Garmin's GHC 50 for the screen, reactor 40 for the black boxes. I know I've seen a 2 pump unit that has a pump for autopilot and a pump for power steering. I'm curious to know if anyone else has installed that and are they happy with it.
I'm thinking, if there is enough space, I'd mount the pumps in the starboard aft hatch (my batteries are on the port side).

I am dumping my transom mounted Airmar TM185HW (I fish deeper than that will go) and the Garmin Sidevu/Clearvu (absolutely useless to me) and replacing them with Airmar B175M (85-135 kHz) and B175HW (150-250 kHz). I tend to fish in 50-400 feet depths. The B175s are thruhull and I'll put them just ahead of the seacock entraces, Grady left space aft of the fresh water tank.

I am pulling out the livewell so I can get at the livewell pump. That pump is noisy, it louder than my kicker. I want a quiet one so I'm replacing it with a Rule 800gph pump that I know is quiet.

After those fixes, I think the only thing that is left is somehow fixing the forward view, that bar that is right where you want to look has to go.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lucky,
I put the Raymarine EV150 on my 228 and have been loving it. The only thing I wish is that I did it sooner. No problems integrating it with my Garmin gps. You will not be disappointed if you go that direction.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky,
I put the Raymarine EV150 on my 228 and have been loving it. The only thing I wish is that I did it sooner. No problems integrating it with my Garmin gps. You will not be disappointed if you go that direction.
I've been nudged toward Garmin because, in theory, you tell it to navigate to a waypoint and tell it to stay over water at least 50 feet deep and it will route around stuff. The guy who told me said that that only worked with all Garmin stuff.

The other reason for Garmin is he has Garmin and we fish with each other, just seemed to make sense to have the same controls so if I need to run his boat, it's instinctive.

If Raymarine is better, I want to know why. My electronics vendor/installer is not pushing Garmin (even though everything else I have is Garmin and they sold me that), he wants me to go with Furuno but hasn't told me why yet.

So if anyone has researched autopilot and has concrete reasons why one is better than the other, I am all ears.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I installed a Simrad AP44, I bought it as a full kit. Happy with it , no issues at all . I'm not sure you need power steering, I don't.
I installed the pump under the helm and the computer in the cabin behind the helm. If you have Raymarine and you are happy, stick with that.

Attachments

• AP44.jpg
    AP44.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • AP442.JPG
    AP442.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • AP443.JPG
    AP443.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • AP 44 location.jpg
    AP 44 location.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 16

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I installed a Simrad AP44, I bought it as a full kit. Happy with it , no issues at all . I'm not sure you need power steering, I don't.
I installed the pump under the helm and the computer in the cabin behind the helm. If you have Raymarine and you are happy, stick with that.
I have Garmin, the other guy went Raymarine. I want power steering because my steering is more sluggish than I like and I have a kicker and would like to link that with the main engine so the steering wheel steers both.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've been nudged toward Garmin because, in theory, you tell it to navigate to a waypoint and tell it to stay over water at least 50 feet deep and it will route around stuff. The guy who told me said that that only worked with all Garmin stuff.

The other reason for Garmin is he has Garmin and we fish with each other, just seemed to make sense to have the same controls so if I need to run his boat, it's instinctive.

If Raymarine is better, I want to know why. My electronics vendor/installer is not pushing Garmin (even though everything else I have is Garmin and they sold me that), he wants me to go with Furuno but hasn't told me why yet.

So if anyone has researched autopilot and has concrete reasons why one is better than the other, I am all ears.
Lucky,
I put the Raymarine on because it had great reviews and is a simple solid AP. If you need the safe route navigation, garmin is a good choice. I fish on a boat regularly that has garmin AP and it has the all the bells and whistles and it is great and very functional. Interesting you mention your steering is sluggish, have you bled your system? My steering is anything but sluggish, which has me wondering if you might have air in your system? Both are good systems, I'm guessing either would work well for you if you wanted a basic AP.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Congrats on a great fishing year! Looks like you are really dialing your rig in. Have fun!

brdawg2001

Reaction score
I have the Garmin on my 273 Chase and love it with twin 250 zukes....I am not sure that second pump is necessary...SeaStar is great and reliable.

I also bought a rebuilt Seastar from boatsteer as well...all good.

r

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I have the Garmin on my 273 Chase and love it with twin 250 zukes....I am not sure that second pump is necessary...SeaStar is great and reliable.

I also bought a rebuilt Seastar from boatsteer as well...all good.

r
I have decided that my 228 is it for me, I'm sticking with that boat. So I want to make it as pleasant as possible. Right now, I don't have the kicker tied to the main engine, so trolling I can steer with the main engine but not in a cross wind. Power steering will let me tie those two together and I want that.

Thanks for the feedback on the Garmin, I was leaning that way.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I had uflex on my Whaler and the seals never failed in the five years I had it. I've heard the Seastar will have seal leakage after a few years, and since that's what I have i will likely have to replace the seals before too much longer. If i had known i was going to get Seastar then i would have ordered the digital electric steering and never had to worry about seastar seals leaking.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I had uflex on my Whaler and the seals never failed in the five years I had it. I've heard the Seastar will have seal leakage after a few years, and since that's what I have i will likely have to replace the seals before too much longer. If i had known i was going to get Seastar then i would have ordered the digital electric steering and never had to worry about seastar seals leaking.
So can you, or others, teach me about Seastar seals? That's what I have on my 3 year old boat. I'd like to get out in front of that, I thought that I had bought a brand new problem free answer for 5 years, I just completely rebuilt my braking system from the spindles out, new rotors, new calibers, new bearings, new brake lines on my Pacific Trailer. Converted it over to electric over hydraulic, because the surge brakes are not a great answer when you live 2000 feet above sea level.

If the Seastar is gonna fall apart like my Pacific Trailer did, I want to get out in front of that and fix it.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Everyone i know who has seastar has had to replace seals after a few years. Not a big deal, but eventually the seals will wear. The seals on my uflex never ever had an issue. I had the uflex for at least five years. Sometimes I miss that old whaler as it was so stupid simple compared to all the nice yet complex systems on my Grady.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I replaced the seals on my previous seastar steering (seaswirl striper. Not difficult as long as there is not metal seizer involved. Have had the seastar steering on my Grady for over 10 years with no issues. Whether exposure to the elements has something to do with it, apart from use, I don't know. Mine is garage kept when not on the brine, except for three months in the summer when in a slip.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
One of the two Seastar ram seals on my boat (dual engines) started seeping when it got cold (static leak) after 10 years. I changed both in a day for under $100 including the special tool to get the caps off. I noticed it by seeing drops of oil in the transom well. Never impacted steering and didn't seem to leak when underway. Not worth worrying about in my opinion.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

big_tuna

Reaction score
Congrats on the fish! Got a pick of the bigeye? You shouldn't need power steering, it's likely your motor has issues and has become "sticky". Do u have yamaha? What year? It's a real expensive fix, I was quoted 4500 as theybhave to pull the power head.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Congrats on the fish! Got a pick of the bigeye? You shouldn't need power steering, it's likely your motor has issues and has become "sticky". Do u have yamaha? What year? It's a real expensive fix, I was quoted 4500 as theybhave to pull the power head.

2020 Yamaha 250, been sort of stiff since day one. My kicker has a lever to adjust how easily it moves, is there such a thing on the yamaha?
$4500 to put in power steering? That seems insane, I'm waiting a quote but a buddy put in auto pilot for $3000. If it is $4500 I'll just skip it, I want power steering so I can link the kicker and the main engine. I've been surviving OK with using the kicker to push the boat trolling and using the main engine to steer (works most of the time until the wind picks up).

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
One of the two Seastar ram seals on my boat (dual engines) started seeping when it got cold (static leak) after 10 years. I changed both in a day for under $100 including the special tool to get the caps off. I noticed it by seeing drops of oil in the transom well. Never impacted steering and didn't seem to leak when underway. Not worth worrying about in my opinion.
First, I'm jealous of your Express, sweet ride. Second, is it obvious where the leak will come? I suspect I'm over thinking it as my boat lives in my driveway when not fishing, so not a lot of salt, and it is just under 3 years old. But getting ahead of problems is good.

big_tuna

Reaction score
Ah no, 4500 to fix the sticky steering shaft on my old 2005 yamaha f250. If you have a new motor, then ya you don't have my problem.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Just an update on costs, you are gonna cringe.

Item Number Description Quantity List Price Total
LAB-INSTALL Install Labor Auto Pilot & Power Steering Assist. ( sight unseen, variables may exist) 15 145.00 145.00 2,175.00
12/09/2022 15.00
010-02794-00 Reactor 40 Hydraulic Autopilot with GHC 50 Autopilot Instrument 1 2,249.99 2,137.49 2,137.49
010-00705-64 1.2-Liter Pump Kit 1 1,159.99 1,101.99 1,101.99
Hydraulic-Kit Hydraulic Autopilot Hoses and Fittings Kit 2 449.95 449.95 899.90
7312473 Pump-Steer Pwr Assist SeaStar 1 2,409.99 2,289.49 2,289.49
999 Misc. Multiple T's, connectors, fluid 1 200.00 200.00 200.00
Total Parts $6,628.87
Total Labor $2,175.00
Sales Tax 9.25% $613.17
Total $9,417.04

Crazy spendy but I'm committed to this boat and I'm doing it. I was just out a few days ago picking up crab pots and autopilot would have been awesome.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Auto pilot is great!! My wife loves it for trolling. She can hit the AP leave the helm and net the fish when I bring it in. No wandering into someones tack lane, holds speed and direction to keep a tight line. Also have the iTroll which can control the kicker speed from anywhere in the 208 YACHT. Hope to be out soon for a winter Spring or two once this snow goes home.

Reactions: Halfhitch