Freedom Trim

Natale

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
My 2014 Grady White Freedom 335 w twin 350es only trims up to 3 bars. That's max at 5600 rpms. If I go to 4 bars I start to get cavitation.
Any one else w similar experience?

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
i assume you mean ventilation (props drawing air) rather than cavitation (boiling water caused by low pressure)?

it would be useful to mention what brand engines, what mounting hole they are in, and what props you have.

seasick

Reaction score
My 2014 Grady White Freedom 335 w twin 350es only trims up to 3 bars. That's max at 5600 rpms. If I go to 4 bars I start to get cavitation.
Any one else w similar experience?
And why is that a problem?

What's more important to determine if the set up is working is knowing the WOT revs, adjusting engine trim for max RPM, the GPS speed at cruising revs ( not necessarily WOT) and of course the prop specs diam and pitch)

From there we can see how your setup is working out.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As noted, there's a lot of variables at play here - both in boat performance and what can cause ventilation. Strictly looking at the bars on the gauge is probably about the least informative "criteria" to judge things on.

Is the hull super clean? Even a layer of slime can affect this.

Natale

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
First I would like to say thank you for all the replies! I will get to my boat before the weekend so I can get more info. My first Grady White and am very happy with it.
Thanks again. Will post back soon

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
And why is that a problem?

What's more important to determine if the set up is working is knowing the WOT revs, adjusting engine trim for max RPM, the GPS speed at cruising revs ( not necessarily WOT) and of course the prop specs diam and pitch)

From there we can see how your setup is working out.
The problem with it imo would be that if the OP is only able to hit a maximum of 5,600 rpm WOT with an extremely light load, and then went out loaded down heavily and didn't even hit 5,000 rpm at WOT. Which to me that would indicate that he's either over or under propped, and/or there is an issue with the outboards, fuel system, etc. My thought process would be that the OP should be in the 5,200-6,100 rpm range at WOT whether the boat is fully loaded down or is lightly loaded. Of which again if he's only hitting 5,600 and is in fact lightly loaded down, he might not even be at over 5k rpm when heavily loaded down, and he's probably got the wrong sized props on there. My suggestion to the OP would be to see what props you currently have on the boat, give Ken at Prop Gods a call, tell him what you've got and what your issues are, and then go from there.

Reactions: FalmouthGuy