Freshwater System Problem - '97 248 Voyager

Pete1313

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a check valve in between the freshwater tank and the pump on a '97 GW 248?

I bought my boat last year and freshwater worked fine. Now, it doesn't work well at all. The pump runs constantly (won't pressurize) and when I push the button on the handle, it spurts small amounts of water, but not much to wash your hands even. The tank is absolutely full (I've confirmed by holding the garden hose in it until water is splashing back out).

Some have suggested its the pressure switch on teh pump, but it seems to me that the pump is not getting water. My guess is something is blocking the flow. When I bought the boat used last year it had a full tank of freshwater, and it was probably sitting around. My guess is there is crud in the tank or line.

I"ve pulled the line coming from the tank into the pump and noticed that water does not freely flow out of it...don't know if it should.

I want to snake the line from the pump to the tank, but don't know if there is a check valve that would prevent backflow. If there is, snakin won't help.

Any ideas on how to clear the tank/line from an obstruction? Any ideas on what my issue here is?

Thanks...

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
To me it sounds like you may have two different problems: 1) if the pump runs all the time then you probably have a bad pump or you have a leak in your line somewhere... doesn't have to me much... just enough to drop pressure so the pump keeps running. One of the mostly likely spots of trouble are where the water lines connect to your faucets/outlets. 2) very little flow sounds like your strainer on the pump may be clogged or the pump isn't pressurizing the system... disconnect the input line to the pump and check the strainer ... if dirty clean it and see if your problems go away. If the strainer is clean then you may very well have a bad pump and that could account for both symptoms above. I'd start with checking the pump first... checking all the water line connections can be a real pia.