Fuel Fill Issues on 265

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have encountered my first issue with my 2002 265 Express and I'm hoping others may have an idea of how to fix it. Somewhere in my fuel fill/vent I must have blockage because my main tank does not always allow me to fill it fully, I get about 2/3 of a tank and it starts to spit out. Even letting it settle will not work. It has only happened twice so far and between those two times time it did not happen for a few fill ups. Anyone have similar issues and how did you fix them. I have not had time to really look at my fuel lines to see if there is a vented loop or anything in the line. Has anyone traced out the fuel line on a 265 and where to access parts of it? For 90% of my trips I could care less since I do not fill my tanks when fishing inffshore, and luckily it has not happened before an offshore trip where I have topped my tanks off, but I need to fix it before it does occur before an offshore trip and keeps me at the dock. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We both have 2002 model boats, so I think you probably have the same fuel fill fitting(s) as I have. Specifically, the vent is internal, inside the fill fitting as opposed to the usual vent on the side of the boat.

I have noted that fueling at a high rate tends to cause more "spitting" from that vent, so I usually keep the rate down a bit. Have never had a problem getting it filled all the way.

On our Islander, the vent and fill lines run together from the fill fitting to the tank.

I would suggest you look at the lower end first as I think that is connected last and could be where the vent line has a small kink, particularly if the hose was just a bit too long.

Brian

uncljohn

Reaction score
if there was blockage in the vent, it wouldn't spit from the vent. It would spit out of the fill.

Also, if you're fine for 2/3 of a fill but THEN have issues, doesn't sound like a blockage either. Are you judging this by your fuel gauge only reading 2/3 full after you fill? Your gauge might not be reading properly. Mine is like that, neveer reads 100% fullbefore it spits from the vent.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My guages read perfectly and I have checked my fuel management agianst actual usage by refilling after and it is always within a gal or two. I know it was not full because my tank said I was on 1/3 when I fueled, so about 40gal and I added only 26 since that is all it allowed. That put me just over 1/2 and under 3/4 of a tank on my guage so I likely had a little more then a third, and it read only 3/4 full. I keep a log of what I put in and what I fill so I know it was not full and should have taken moreI confirmed it was not full by running that tank the next day and stopping when my one engine sputtered...82gal, it is a 130gal tank. I knew my other was full so I did not have range issues only being 55miles out, but if I did a full canyon trip it would have been scary, and I would not have gone knowing I was not full. I fueled both tanks at the same rate and rarely ever fuel at full speed, boy my hand hurts from holding that noozle when I go from almost empty to full. I will have to inspect my lines near the connections, especially near the tank to see if something is causing a restriction.

seasick

Reaction score
If the vent is blocked, that might explain the tank not filling. There should be a deck cover over the tank where the fuel fill and vent lines connect. You need to undo the vent hose and see if can pass air freely. Likewise, you should be able to pass air freely into the tank. P What I don't understand is why the fill would stop at a specific level. If the vent were blocked, the fill would stop more on the fill rate than the actual fill level. If however, there is something floating in the tank, that may block the vent when the fuel level reaches a particular level.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
Does your vent system in fact vent threw the fill line? Or does it have a separate line and vent?

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I realise it's winter Tom but I wondered if you managed to find the problems solution.
I can rarely put in as much as the fuel mangement says I have used. ie. last trip it was about 40litres difference.
However the fuel gauge showed it was full after filling as far as it would allow. Problem is 40 liters short wouldn't show as one bar less on the gauge.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well we filled the tanks a little more then 7/8 for the winter and put stabilizer and such in. As soon as she splashes I'm going to top her off as high as I can and run both tanks really low and keep track of my burn to see if it is the guage that is off or a blockage in the fill line or vent. It is strange how all season it worked perfectly and then all of a sudden the last few trips it was acting like this. I have about 2 months before I need to have it topped off again for my long offshore runs so I have some time to work on it and get it fixed. I'm hoping the guage is off, if not I may run all new fuel fill and vent lines instead of playing around with them to find exactly where the issue is. When I figure it out I will keep you all posted, it won't be until May though... :(