Fuel gauge issues

86TrophyPro

Reaction score
I just replaced my sending units with new Wema units and I also replaced the tank selector switch at the helm, However I have a problem The aux tank is max. full yet reads 3/4 at the gauge and the main tank has about 35-40 gals but it reads totolly empty. Any ideas??? :?

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I repowered to and put on the new Yamaha gauges, I had similar issues. I think it had to do with the old tank selector switch and the new system wiring.

I took it back to the dealer and now the tank selector switch is abandoned and each tank has its own set of bars on the gauge.

Hope this helps.

ahill

Reaction score
My fuel gauge (272) suddenly registers full on both tanks. Any suggestions? I did verify connectors at the tank end are clean.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ahill, it's not two senders going bad simultaneously.

However, if it is, go out and buy all the shares of Citibank and GE you can afford! Throw in some IBM too.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
Ahill I have a Sailfish and both tanks read full. I found that both sender units over the winter had lost there magnets on the floats and caused the gauges to read full all the time. I replaced both with Wema senders and cured the problem. I think the ethanol dissolved the glue and the floats causing the magnets to fall out, I found them at the bottom of the senders.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
The easy thing to do is unplug the sender unit and jump across the pink and black terminals and see if the gauge goes to full. But it takes a few seconds because the gauge is designed to be slow acting.