Fuel tank install

seasick

Reaction score
OK, I read the original post again. The new tank was made to be an exact match to the old. Did you check that it is a match?

The old tank has worked since the start of time ( well at least 1984).
Why would you change the orientation now??
It's sort of ' if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

If I understand your concern, it is that the top of the tank is not parallel to the deck. Am I correct?
Who says it is supposed to be level with that surface?

Finally, I respectively disagree with your tank builder advice.

Read this article

MikeyThumbs

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Well shit! I read the article and as much as I agree with it, when I removed the original tank, it was surrounded by neoprene rubber strips wherever it made contact with wood.

The tank builder told me to mount strips to the tank with a fat bead of 5200 and press them until it squirts out of both sides. I’m assuming this is to create a seal between the neoprene and the tank.
Was also told to leave spacing between strips rather than the entire length of the tank, for water and airflow..

So should I just 5200 the HDPE strips down to the stringers (perpendicular across the 2 stringers) and let the tank sit directly on the HDPE strips? Same with the side wedges of HDPE, no neoprene in between?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Mickey -

Problem with the internet and "experts" that you come across is that you will get numerous opinions. There is no resume attached to the poster. They could be experts or blowhards with no experience. Your challenge is to sort out the ones that are the probable answer and those that are not. Generally on this site I find you get quality answers. But sometimes you get different answers to the same question.

Fuel tank are a good example. Even if you do everything "wrong" problems won't show up immediately. I would suggest you talk to Patriot and SP Tanks.

MikeyThumbs

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Mickey -

Problem with the internet and "experts" that you come across is that you will get numerous opinions. There is no resume attached to the poster. They could be experts or blowhards with no experience. Your challenge is to sort out the ones that are the probable answer and those that are not. Generally on this site I find you get quality answers. But sometimes you get different answers to the same question.

Fuel tank are a good example. Even if you do everything "wrong" problems won't show up immediately. I would suggest you talk to Patriot and SP Tanks.

Thanks for this advice.. I sent an email to SP… hopefully they will get back to me with an answer later today.

seasick

Reaction score
The advice to use a bed of 5200 as a separator and sealant between whatever you use nd the tank is correct. I would not use HDOE since it doesn't stick to 5200 very well. The practice of leaving the strips short of the tank edge is also good advice. The idea is to eliminate areas where water can pool (like on the surace of the rubber or whatever) and eventually seep between the tank and the rubber.

seasick

Reaction score
Mickey -

I don't know if the lack of a resume was directed at me or David Pascoe. I suspect me since David is well known in the marine field.
I am no expert, just a often grumpy older geezer who will attempt just about any task once after spending an inordinate amount of time researching the job. Like any poster, take it all with a grain of salt:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hookup1

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I don't know if the lack of a resume was directed at me or David Pascoe. I suspect me since David is well known in the marine field.
I am no expert, just a often grumpy older geezer who will attempt just about any task once after spending an inordinate amount of time researching the job. Like any poster, take it all with a grain of salt:)
Wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I'me considering replacing my fuel tanks this year. Been thru a number of posts that replaced tanks and their recommendations. From what I remember my tanks have neoprene strips. I read not to use neoprene. Others use plastic strips. I honestly don't know what the best answer is. When the time comes I'll talk to my tank supplier and maybe GW CS.

MikeyThumbs

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I'me considering replacing my fuel tanks this year. Been thru a number of posts that replaced tanks and their recommendations. From what I remember my tanks have neoprene strips. I read not to use neoprene. Others use plastic strips. I honestly don't know what the best answer is. When the time comes I'll talk to my tank supplier and maybe GW CS.
I emailed GW directly already to see what their feedback was, I’ll let you know if they get back to me ..

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I emailed GW directly already to see what their feedback was, I’ll let you know if they get back to me ..
Ask if they are still using aluminum tanks. What do/did they use? Ask about the hold down blocks too.

268 Aft tank.jpeg

There may not be a single best answer. 5200 may be the best choice but I can't see GW using it in production (too messey!).

Last edited: