Fuel Tank replacement on 1986 Offshore 240

ted potter

Reaction score
Recently smelled gas fumes following fill-up. Discovered a couple of small holes on top of 93 gal. fuel tank. (1986 Offshore 240). Has others had that problem. If so, what is the approximate replacement cost? I assume trying to repair would be a waste of time.

richie rich

Reaction score
don't waste your time repairing a 20+ year old tank...replace it and keep everybody safe.

there are 2 places I know of that do good tanks...both in New Jersey practically next door to each other....SP Sheet Metal and Atlantic...I believe its Toms River?? Anyway I bought 2 tanks from SP...nice work.....a 75 gallon is around 5 hundred and a 125 is 1000...but it really depends on the shape goodies that you want and epoxy coating if you want...they have a web site that allows you to put in dimensions and then they give you a cost within a few days...change all you fuel lines and fill hoses at the same time...guaranteed they are on the verge of collapse

jim

Reaction score
I had Atlantic make a tank for my 1990 Sailfish .John and the guys did a great job. I needed to replace the AUX tank (47 gallons )Atlantic will give you a 5 day turn around and priced right about $550.00 It come expoxy coated and Coast Guard approved. I do metal fabrication for a living and went with Atlantic. Peace of Mind, C.G. approval, Expoxy coating, Presure tested to 5 lbs could not ask for more . Jim :) :)

awnuld

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also went with Atlantic (speedy tanks) last year to replace a 50 gal tank- I have no complaints either.. Was around $500, whatever company you go with should be able to provide whatever tubes you need, as well as any neoprene, which is extra $$.

Got the original drawings for my '77 dolphin from Grady's customer service, just to confirm my measurements. Getting the original tank out, for me, was a major hassle though. Plenty of us have done this so you should be able to find enough advice/photos etc. on this site.. I had only been a boat owner for a month and did it myself... if you have a hard time getting the old tank out.. I can share video of my 'tank removing technique'. :lol:

awnuld

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
a tank removal technique.

Try this url..

http://www.dan.titustwo.net/07-24-08_tank_removal_tech.3gp

this is when I started.. then I had to raise up the ends of the 2x's. I stacked bricks under each end then was able to get it higher. If you have someone helping they might be able to wedge the lip/sides of the opening more open as the tank comes up... kind of like a shoe horn would.. At some point you'll gain the leverage that you can pull the tank out..