Fuel Tank Winter Storage

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've had a boat stored in Cape Cod (where E10 is the only option) for the past 10 winters (shrink-wrapped and stored outside). My marina has always filled the tanks completely and added Sta-bil. So far I've never had an issue with this and I am planning to continue.

The boat gets winterized in Nov. and splashed again in April, but depending on weather and how busy I am, I sometimes will not even get through the winterized gas until July! I recall reading that Stabil will stabilize gas for 6 months...

mheltunen

Reaction score
Some great points to consider. My biggest issues surfaced when the transition to ethanol was implemented. The first year I used it (before I switched back to non ethanol) the new fuel completely cleaned my fuel system of all varnish left behind by standard gasoline due to what I've been told is the detergents in it. This chain reaction continued to plug my filters and carburetor all season. As the information slowly came out about the effects of ethanol on fuel systems I thankfully was able to switch back to standard gasoline. I sure got to know the internals of my carburetor well that season. I realize this post walked off topic a bit but figured I'd pass along my experiences in the hopes that it helps someone.

JeffN

Reaction score
seasick said:
JeffN said:
I have tried various programs with my winter fuel storage. Pretty much settled on storing the tank with whatever is left in it after my last fill up and usage. Sometimes it is mostly full, near empty or anywhere in between. I stabilize before I run it the last time and then just put her away for the winter. My lay up lasts 5 months or so and no issues so far. My boat has an I/O and people say I/Os are somewhat more resistant to fuel contamination than OB, don't know if that is true. I have asked at the yard and they tell me that they just stabilize what is in the tanks and really don't have problems YMMV.

I don't think I/O vs outboard makes much difference as far as issues in the gas tank go.

Not so much issues in the gas tank but what the effect is when the bad gas from the tank gets into the motor. Isn't that generally how people find out they have bad gas? How many drain gas sample from their tank an test it for water or fuel separation before commissioning? Do you? Perhaps but most not. I don't. Tank full of bad gas doesn't hurt anything until you try to run the motor. In regard to I/Os having less issues with bad gas don't know for sure but that is what I was told by techs at two different yards. My engine is FI but I never had problems before I repowered with my old my carb engines.

As far as how to winterize, good discussion and folks should do whatever they are comfortable with.

rlorenc24

Reaction score
I agree with Len. Run them down and stabilize for the winter. Fill up in the spring and off you go. I've done this 20 years now and never an issue. This is what my dealer does with 100s of boats and he says never an issue.
I've store my boat with an empty tank for 20 years and never had a problem.

Fishtales

Reaction score
My feeling is that it really doesn't matter if treated properly.