Fuel & Vent Hoses 93' Gulfstream

3rd Day

Reaction score
For about an hour after adding any amount of fuel, I get gas fumes in the cabin as well as around the helm station. The odor goes away and does not return until adding more fuel. I'm thinking fill or vent hose showing their age and weeping. Has anyone changed these out and are they a pain in the a$$ like I've found on other boats. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks

exudedude

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 1990.. one of the vents had came loose from the cap. Stck you head in the rod storage slot and you gan see them, mine had enough length to fix, so I replaced both fittings.

If you have to replace the hoses I would put connectors in the end of the old hoses and connect new hose to it and pull up from topside...just like wires.

Workdog

Reaction score
I had a crack in the hose on my aft (Main) tank a couple years ago. Yes, I smelled the fuel odor in the same places as yours. If you replace fill hoses yourself, you will need to make an access hole in the side of the gunwale abeam the fill nozzles. I cut the hole there with a rotozip and later installed a Tempress screw plate to cover it. This will allow you access to unscrew the hose clamps on the fittings. While you have the tank covering board up, I would recommend you pull the tank out to see if you have any corrosion underneath. I had a little (but no through holes) so I laminated my tank with two layers of fiberglass before I reinstalled it. The fill hose will probably be plastic wire tied on the opposite side of the stringer from the tank compartment. I just muscled the hose enough to gain access to the tie and snipped it to free the hose. The Main tank fill hose comes down from the STBD gunwale, down and around the fishbox and through the stringer into the tank compartment. Since the hose takes a set from being in there for so long, I found it easier to disconnect the hose from the tank and snake a rope down the fill hose. Then, pull the hose through from the fuel tank and the pull rope will stay in its place. To put the new hose in, I taped the rope to the hose and inserted it through the stringer and used the rope to guide (not pull) the hose around the fishbox, then I got my hand in the port hole by the fishbox and directed the hose upward while a buddy pushes the hose from the tank compartment. Once the hose has an upward vector to the gunwale, you can guide the hose from the rope at the gunwale while the person at the tank is still pushing the hose. By the way, while the main tank hose is removed, you will not have a better time to access and replace the throughhull abeam the fishbox. I would replace all my fuel lines to the motors while the covering boards are up.

3rd Day

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the rapid replies and detailed explanation. I'll check out the vents and if thats not it, I'll pull the covering boards/access panels and have a look at the hoses. I've done this job a couple of times on other boats and it is a PITA. Thanks again and good fishing.