Garmin 4210

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For the past two or three weeks, my Garmin 4210's have been flashing a warning that the sonar signal was lost and would not show the depth of water until I pressed the "OK" button next to the warning. I have checked/refilled the cup that the transducer sits in but still get the warning. I don’t think it was ever low.

Now, the system doesn't even recognize the sonar when I put up the main menu.

I have tried to check the connections and cannot find a loose wire. Any Suggestions?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
pull the connections between the gsd and the mfd and the gsd and power/xducer. make sure they are all clean (no green/blue). also check the power connection to the distribution block. i use dielectric grease on all my connections. (watch for the tiny o-ring on the network connection)

also, make sure software is up to date. the gsd has to be operational (seen) to take the update. then check the led's on the gsd.

if that doesn't clear it, give garmin tech a call/email. good luck, ron

rsgandy

Reaction score
this reply is probably to late to help however... I had the same issue it was the thermometer... Garmin has a replacement thermometer and a patch cable . make sure the cable is long enough or order an add on segment.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
rsgandy said:
this reply is probably to late to help however... I had the same issue it was the thermometer... Garmin has a replacement thermometer and a patch cable . make sure the cable is long enough or order an add on segment.

What thermometer?

seasick

Reaction score
LUNDINROOF said:
For the past two or three weeks, my Garmin 4210's have been flashing a warning that the sonar signal was lost and would not show the depth of water until I pressed the "OK" button next to the warning. I have checked/refilled the cup that the transducer sits in but still get the warning. I don’t think it was ever low.

Now, the system doesn't even recognize the sonar when I put up the main menu.

I have tried to check the connections and cannot find a loose wire. Any Suggestions?
Unfortunately, this is a pain to troubleshoot. Of course the first step is to eleiminate a bad transducer or cable and to do so, you either need another transducer ( a transom mount will do for a test) or you need to move your head end to a friends boat that has a similar Garmin and swap connectors. You may need to change the setup for the other transducer model.
My gut feeling is that your transducer is bad (assuming the cable run is one piece) but that is just that , a gut feeling. I mention the one piece cable because some installs added an extension cable and that introduces another set of connectors which are often below the deck and exposed to harsher conditions. A cut/damaged cable is also a possibility but in general, the cable is not repairable.