Gas Tank Hatch Recore

'84Offshore

Reaction score
I'm no glass expert by an means.......

I would say at least a gallon depending on the size of the hatch.
The mat I used seemed to soak up ALOT of resin.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thank you! I'll be probably tackling that job this weekend.
Mike.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just sharing another experience on recoring the same piece... I also had to rebuild one of the edges as it was cut off by the previous owner. Including that, I used approximately 1/3 gallon of resin.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I picked up the 3 gallon Epoxy kit to use for my large and small hatches. Both combined, I used approx. 2.5 gallons.
I put first layer of 1708 biax on ground surface, then hot coated balsa, layed in, coated balsa, layed layer of 1708, brushed on resin, another 1708 layer/resin/1708/resin to finish it off. So 3 layers of 1708 on topside of balsa and one layer underneath. This built it up to the same thickness as original when I was done....perhaps just a tad thicker, but no issue with fitup. Very strong when completed. Was very happy to use the Epoxy resin this time over the polyester that I have always used since the epoxy had virtually no smell and was doing this over winter in the garage.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
4 layers of 1708? Wow! I used mat on the underside, then one layer of 1708 on top - plenty strong - even jumped on it. But, hey, you can't wrong with overbuilding!

Yup, I'm done with polyester, too. I used it a few years ago, but then made the switch to epoxy and haven't looked back. Easier to work with, too.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I might have lied a bit here...might have been 2 layers now that I think of it. But, with my heavy butt, need to make sure it will stand up to time. :mrgreen:

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Epoxy is something I'm familiar with. I won't say its exactly the same but I've used it for years building and coating custom fishing rods.
Its pretty forgiving in the time to lay it out. Using poly I worry about it setting up too fast.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Absolutely agree on that one! Epoxy was way better in many regards to smell, cleanup, tackiness and time. Polyester with chopped strand is like trying to strangle the easter bunny! Fur all over the place! :roll:

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
ROBERTH said:
Absolutely agree on that one! Epoxy was way better in many regards to smell, cleanup, tackiness and time. Polyester with chopped strand is like trying to strangle the easter bunny! Fur all over the place! :roll:
Oh... but I do have a shop vac! :wink:

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks again on the info guys.
I've just finished the last of the recoring on my Ovenighters hatch. After removing the extremely wet wooden core and grinding down to clean glass I laid in a layer of mat then added a 5/8 plywood core. I went with standard plywood as the quality was much better than the 1/2" CDX and it was about the only ply I could find without warp-age.
That went down with thickened resin. Woven roving then went on ($80 for 2 packs). I filled the 3/4" gap around the edges with thickened resin and then topped it all with another thin layer of glass.
I did go with the West System epoxy at $100 for one gallon and $50 for a quart of hardener. It took every last drop to complete the project. Ya I was seating it in the end wondering if I had enough but I was lucky. As others have said it is as solid as a rock now. My nest step is to apply Interdeck non-skid paint. My financial bucket is shot full of holes but I am comfortable that it is going to come out right.
mike.