Gasoline Smell in Cabin

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.littleriversportfishing.com
Model
Sailfish
Got a '94, 27 Sailfish with a/c. Haven't stayed on the boat since last year but decided I would tonight. Need to get an early start to a long tomorrow. Anywho, turned AC on this afternoon and when I returned later this evening I was greeted with a very strong smell of gasoline in the cabin. Its always had a mild smell but this is a bit much. I don't see any fuel in the bilge. What's happening...fuel line and vent lines leaking vapor???

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
When was the last time you either inspected the lines or replaced them? last year every time I filled up I noticed a fuel smell in the helm and cabin area of the boat. Finally, one day I was getting fuel I had the dock guy pump while I looked around and I noticed fuel coming out of the fuel fill hose where it was cracking. bought my boat new in 2009 and 10 years later the fuel fill hose is cracking and leaking. when I replaced it the connection at the tank was pristine. when I inspected the gas tank in my quest to find the leak i initially discounted the fuel fill lines because at the tank everything looked great.

Turns out ozone and such circulating above decks tends to crack and eat away at rubber compounds quicker than the stale air under the deck. if you pop your tank inspection. plates and don't smell fuel maybe the culprit is the fill hose. if you do smell fuel unfortunately the culprit could be your aluminum tank might have a leak.

Reactions: Sparkdog118

seasick

Reaction score
Turn everything off, let the boat sit for a few hours or more and then pull the inspection plates and use your nose. It could be a leaky hose or worse a leaky tank. Is the tank original? The source of the vapors can be hard to locate especially if it is the tank where leaks tend to occur on the bottom where you can't see them.
I assume that you turned on the AC because it was hot outside. To some extent, outdoor high temps will cause the vapors in the tank to expand and vent. That venting could be to an outside hull vent if equipped that way, or to a combo fill.
When did you add gas last and how full is the tank.

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.littleriversportfishing.com
Model
Sailfish
Turn everything off, let the boat sit for a few hours or more and then pull the inspection plates and use your nose. It could be a leaky hose or worse a leaky tank. Is the tank original? The source of the vapors can be hard to locate especially if it is the tank where leaks tend to occur on the bottom where you can't see them.
I assume that you turned on the AC because it was hot outside. To some extent, outdoor high temps will cause the vapors in the tank to expand and vent. That venting could be to an outside hull vent if equipped that way, or to a combo fill.
When did you add gas last and how full is the tank.

Topped the tank off that afternoon prior to turning on AC. And yes, pretty hot right now.

mhinch

Reaction score
I had the fuel level sending unit on my 222 replaced and it leaked. It's more than likely something very simple but, at the end of the day is a fuel leak and needs your immediate attention. Good luck and let us know what it was - always helps to learn/catalog away the info.

Reactions: Late Again Grady

seasick

Reaction score
Topped the tank off that afternoon prior to turning on AC. And yes, pretty hot right now.
Keep an eye on it but it may just be venting vapors. The AC probably pulled in outside air that had vapors in it.
I know it's hard to do but you shouldn't top off the tank, that is fill till gas nozzle trips especially if you are not going to use the boat after fill up. If you have to fill up, t's better to fill up first and then go boating to bring down the level a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Late Again Grady