Gelcoat Repairs

Blackbird

Reaction score
I normally keep my 283 Release in a hoist but I had to leave it in a wet slip for a day. Long story short, a combination of high winds from the wrong direction and very high tides and I got some cosmetic damage on the port side. Nothing major but the first dings, about silver dollar sized. Any advice on re-gelcoating to make look like new. The tan color will be harder to match than the dings. Is this a job for a reasonably handy owner? or is this a job for the pros? Thanks in advance.

JJB

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Get some color matched gelcot patch from Spectrum or the GW dealer, and 400, 600, 800 wet sanding paper. Should match real good on a newer boat. Definately try it yourself after reading some info. Check out the Whaler site. Some good info there. If you don't like your results, you can always have it professionaly repaired during the off season. Good luck.

Neckerindux

Reaction score
Grind out the loose stuff fill if needed. I built a cofferdam around the repair area using putty. Put the gel coat on cover the area with wax paper taped down. In 24 hrs remove the wax paper, dam and wet sand it out. I have a perfect undectable repair. :D