Reaction score
Now that was entertaining:)

Safe boating folks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No offense here, either. It's a good discussion.

I agree with a lot of what you said, 'Zuki... The prop slip vs rubber tire thing, and more. But, I'm still on the fence about the 'completely mashing the throttle' vs 'a nice, smooth, full throttle advance'. For a clarification, when I say "smooth throttle", I'm referring to advancing the throttle from 'just' into gear to full throttle and taking about 2 seconds to do that. As opposed to 'just' into gear and then taking a split second to go to full throttle. It just seems like that "split second" would put a higher initial load on the gears. But, that could just be me over thinking it!

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well Guys, it does appear I have opened up a can of pistons! Thanks for all the thoughts, opinions, expertise, and maybe even possibly some conjecture? I believe I will stay with the way I have been doing it for years, from my 40 ft. commercial troller to my present 208. Advancing the throttle firmly (not slamming) until reaching plane then throttle back to cruising speed. Try as I might I just could not get the 40 foot displacement hull on plane, so settled for the same approach with the throttle until reach cruising or trolling speed. Thank you all for your input and expertise! Who would guess there was that much info out there to get our yachts to rise above it all and reach "get up on plane". That is what makes this site so valuable, so many very informed folk helping us help each other. Thanks again. Cheers, trapper p.s. Although I tried for years to get my commercial troller on plane, my dreams of being first to the fishing grounds never materialized. :bang

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Digging up an older thread here because I'm trying to do some research. I just took over the use of my father's 2002 192 dual console with a 150 direct-injected two stroke (upgraded from a 197 Seafox with a 115 4-stroke because my father rarely used the GW). I just ran the boat yesterday for the first time this season. I've driven it a few times in the past. It ran beautifully on a fifteen mile run with trailing seas in the morning (Waqoit Bay on the Cape to Popponesset Bay)... maintaining my RPM's I was able to stay on plane and run at around 3200 and 22 mph without even touching the throttle. But my return trip (into a steady SW wind and 3-4' seas) is what has me concerned (probably too strong a word and those of you with knowledge may tell me this is normal): It seemed that every time I'd get up to planing speed the RPM's would increase on their own and the boat would quickly accelerate into an uncomfortable speed for the conditions. I'd throttle back, which would cause me to lose plane, and the RPMs would drop down... and so on. I just couldn't find a sweet spot on plane because I'd keep accelerating too quickly for the conditions, and eventually I just decided to plow on at around 8-10 mph (2100 rpm) which was at least comfortable. Does this seem normal or would you suggest I get something checked out? Thanks very much for any advice. Other than those sea conditions and the question I have, the boat/motor ran like a champ.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Well, all I can say is at least you have a motor to get your boat up on plane. Lol

I do what ever the situation calls for when accelerating. Water sports , I hit it hard. Heave load I hit it hard. Light loads I hit it less hard. In the end you are not going to break the motor. There are great explanations here about torque ,gears and such. Most of the time I throttle up where I am not knocking my crew off their feet if standing. If I need to do that I tell them or warn them of it. Like many tell you I try to plane as quickly and efficiently as I can for any given situation. Often I back the throttle off once I am at cruising speed. So the engine actually does not max out or get to peak RPM anyway.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
MarlboroughMan said:
..........But my return trip (into a steady SW wind and 3-4' seas) is what has me concerned (probably too strong a word and those of you with knowledge may tell me this is normal): It seemed that every time I'd get up to planing speed the RPM's would increase on their own and the boat would quickly accelerate into an uncomfortable speed for the conditions. I'd throttle back, which would cause me to lose plane, and the RPMs would drop down... and so on. I just couldn't find a sweet spot on plane because I'd keep accelerating too quickly for the conditions, and eventually I just decided to plow on at around 8-10 mph (2100 rpm) which was at least comfortable. Does this seem normal or would you suggest I get something checked out? Thanks very much for any advice. Other than those sea conditions and the question I have, the boat/motor ran like a champ.

Normal....You can only do what the Seas will allow.

Next time in heavy seas try trimming your motors all the way down, and use your trim tabs to bring the bow down as much as possible. At those settings, you will be able to maintain plane with the lowest possible rpm. Your RPM's should remain fairly steady and you will be slamming a lot less coming down off each wave.
You WILL be burning more gas trimmed down like that, but what's more important? Your wallet or the fillings in your teeth? :wink:

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Normal....You can only do what the Seas will allow.

Next time in heavy seas try trimming your motors all the way down, and use your trim tabs to bring the bow down as much as possible. At those settings, you will be able to maintain plane with the lowest possible rpm. Your RPM's should remain fairly steady and you will be slamming a lot less coming down off each wave.
You WILL be burning more gas trimmed down like that, but what's more important? Your wallet or the fillings in your teeth? :wink:[/quote]

Yes, thanks for your help... definitely don't want to beat up my boat or my teeth fillings (and it was much more comfortable when I decided to just plow along at 8-10 mph)... I did try different trim settings but regardless of my trim she'd still accelerate rapidly (as if she wanted to get up on plane) and I'd have to back off. The boat I'm coming from was 500 lbs lighter and had a 4 stroke, so it responded differently... but I'm sure I wouldn't have expected a comfortable plane on that boat either heading directly into the SW wind and 3-4' (and higher) seas. Very happy to finally be part of the GW family It seems like every other boat on the Cape is a Grady!

wlewis

Reaction score
I'm sure the motor can handle pinning the throttle, but over time, I'd be more concerned about the added stress on the transom, especially on an older hull.