Going to the Keys

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Yall:
Friday we depart for the Florida Keys early in the morn. Not sure how many south Florida folks we have here on the board, but if anybody is in the Pennekamp area next week or Bahia Honda the week after, would enjoy meeting yall. Look me up. I have my droid on me and can be reached via PM or email or cell phone...

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Have a safe trip down..Keep us up-to-date on the oil rumblings from the charter captains, liveaboards, tour boat captains, etc.

Oh, and a couple clear-water pics while tied to a bouy at Pennenkamp with your Grady in the background wouldn't hurt either...
Have a great trip!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Magic,
I have this Sony digital camera with a waterproof case. I dont dive, but it is waterproof to 120 meters. it takes pretty decent pics given it is a point and shoot camera. Upon our return I will once again try to post pics here. They will be on my facebook page too...I hope to be sending yall pics of the dolphin and wahoo we catch too!

Blackbird

Reaction score
Looks we'll just miss you. We're heading down to Marathon in mid July. Have a great trip.

John and Pam B.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks guys....Strikezone I plan on fishing nearly daily since the runs are not like off Charleston...I want to get back to Charelston again before school starts.

Blackbird, our trip is from July 3 to July 17...when are you guys going to be in Marathon?

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
Thanks guys....Strikezone I plan on fishing nearly daily since the runs are not like off Charleston...I want to get back to Charelston again before school starts.

That sure would be nice to have a short run to the fish. I haven't been able to get out for the past couple of weeks but hope to get after some Kings or Wahoo sometime during the summer too.

Desperado

Reaction score
Went to the Keys last month. We had no oil then, and I believe you will still be in good shape. There are lots of shallow water snorkel spots in the area. I purchased a Hot Spots map and went to the protected reefs.

Last Friday I had to clean oil spots of the Sailfish after a day trip in lower Mobile Bay.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Desparado
When this entire thing started, I thought hey no problem, they will get it fixed. Then as it progressed, it became clear that our own Federal Govt is standing in the way of folks trying to clean it all up with the myriad of rules and red tape hoops .... but that is another story. My heart goes out to you guys in the northern Gulf. I am so sorry yall have to deal with it. I called the dockmaster at Pennekamp to get the low down on the potential oil issues there and as of a couple of days ago there were none.

My kids love the Keys and we have been going there for quite a while, boy it sure was nicer living in the Orlando area and making the trip (lol) as we would go there for spring break in late March to early April, the temps were a bit milder and not a lot of worries for afternoon thunderstorms.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Smoky, I am in Miami. I head south to Pennekamp and off shore regularly to fish and dive. Been out plenty of times this summer since the disaster in the Gulf. The waters have been clean (meaning other than the usual junk that people throw into the ocean) and I have not seen or heard of any oil related issues on the ocean side of south florida. Given the amazing cold we had this winter, the reefs look great. Lots of dolphin in the blue water waiting to be caught. Have a great trip.

Blackbird

Reaction score
We're going down to Marathon the last week of July and staying for 2 weeks. Looking forward to lotsa fishing and a little lobstering.