Grady 257 Transom Cap Plate Corrosion

Tomfish1

Reaction score
Anybody have any expectance with the aluminum transom cap plate corroding? My 257 (2003 year) has been showing some signs of corrosion around the edges of the plate in several areas. Read several comments that this may be a weak point in the hull or maybe nothing at all. From the looks of it, the engines will have to be pulled to get at the plate.

Once removed, is the transom exposed or sealed? Does it just need to be resealed or what?

What is the best way to correct?

Does Grady home office have anything to say about this? If so can you provide contact info?
Love the boat, but need to get this fixed, even if it is cosmetic only.

Thanks,

Tom :huh

Ron Semenza

Reaction score
I had the same problem three Years ago. Dealer said Grady no longer using aluminum around transom. Now uses plastic. Ordered new parts-4 and had replaced by a shop recommended by dealer. Probal cause was metal screws that attached brackets. There was no damage to the transom. There was no damage to my transom. No problems since was a cheap and quick fix.

captain swag

Reaction score
Some owners remove the engine(s) and glass the area after removing the aluminum trim. On our '01 265 I removed the trim and found a void underneath filled with a couple of pounds of dead red lady bugs. After cleaning it out, no bad wood was apparent. I filled the void with fast cure 5200 and replaced the trim.

Tomfish1

Reaction score
Ron / Captian Swag thanks for the information.

Sounds like I need to make a call to my local dealer. From what I have heard Grady White is pretty good about taking care of their customers. I still don't understand why the transom is filled with 5200. Sounds like somebody was trying to save a few bucks. Should have been filled and glassed proper at the factory, then no problem. The reason I bought Grady is the quality and workmanship, bit disapointing to hear about this short cut.

Cheers,
Tom

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Same issue here two screws pulled thru. No damage. But if I buy new strip does the engine have to come off?

Ron Semenza

Reaction score
The shop I was referred to unbolted and lifted the OB enough to remove,reseal and replace the trim. He removed, resealed and replaced all four sides. Dropped off in AM and picked up that same afternoon.

Tomfish1

Reaction score
Ron,
Thanks for the follow up. I am contacting my local dealer on this issue. My only problem with unbolting the outboard is that I have twin engines. Seems like this might be a bit more difficult. However as I am sure I am not the first boat with twins, figure they have a procedure for dealing with it.

Will update all as this progresses.

Thanks,

Tom