Grady Adventure 208 - Purchasing advice please!

LB2141

Reaction score
A

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    870 KB · Views: 2,951
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 2,951
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    973.7 KB · Views: 2,951

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Looks like a very nice find. Do the compression test for sure. Pull a wheel on the trailer and look at the brakes too. Running gear trailer work can run you a pretty penny too. I could not tell you if the price is fair or not other than by comparing what other 2000 GW 208 go for in the market. You could call dealer and see if they have 1999/2000 walk-arounds go for and then make your decisions there? I know I bought a 4 year old 192 back in 2002 for $20,000 from a GW dealer. This is an immaculate 208 that is 13 years...maybe it is a bit pricey...but it also seems to be in excellent condition too...sorry about the fence sitting here on the price....the question though is it worth it to you assuming it all checks out? if so, then dont worry too much about a $1,000 or $$2,000

steveditt

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 98 208 with a 175 HP with a 2005 trailer, compression test will not tell you how well the boat is running after sitting a few years the best is to water test the boat which is most likely a problem if not insured or registered . Condition of seats, canvas and electronics? I really don’t think it that’s great of a deal does it have the extended pulpit for the anchor? I spoke to a dealer before purchasing mine he said they sold a perfect 99 200 HP without a trailer for $15 k in CT spring of 12. I’m upgrading a number of things and a few grand doesn’t get you much.I would think everything has to be perfect for that price from a non dealer .

westar

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
Price seems high. As others have said, do compression test, pull a wheel on the trailer, etc. Figure the trailer is worth $2k max, you are at 16k. My buddy, a grady sales guy, says i can get out of mine quick at 13-14k (no trailer) and its the exact same boat/motor combo and year (with bow pulpit) and spotless. It may be a 13 year old boat but if you inspect it well and take care of it, that boat will last forever.

My 2 cents, if it's what you want and you pay 1k or 2k "too much," and you get into a snotty situation out on the water where you're a little nervous/scared (and you will....we all have), you'll never regret what you bought. At least that's my opinion. Good luck with your purchase. Let us know if you pull the trigger.

LB2141

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's advice and its pretty much exactly what I was thinking. All cushions and canvas are in good shape but the electronics are definitely outdated. Trailer is an '04 in good shape. I wish it had a 200HP but the 150 will do and it looks like its in really good shape. I plan on offering $16k cash pending a survey. She told me she doesn't have anyone else looking at the boat and if I don't buy it then she is going to offer it as part of the sale of the house. I can't imagine too many people accepting a 13 year old boat as the selling point on a $1.5 mil house but who knows. Thanks guys. We'll see what happens.....

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think, at $16K, it's still a little high. For these reasons:

1.) From looking at the pics, I can tell it does not have the following options...hydraulic steering, trim tabs, a bimini top.

2.) The trailer, quite frankly, looks rough. If you are going to be towing with any regularity, it's going to need some work.

3.) Dirt doesn't scare me....some elbow grease and wax and a weekend and it will look good as new.

If the compression checks out, I'd stand in her driveway with $15K cash in your hand. I suspect she will move quickly on it.

gradydriver

Reaction score
I agree with Parthery....it seems a bit high.....the thing that would scare me is the "it sat for a year" part....you know that thing could easily start on the hose in the driveway and run like a champ.....BUT as soon as you put a load on it it could sputter and fall on it's face...carb issues = big $$$$....I also have a 208 but the 2003 variety with a 200 Yam four stroke it's funny I was talking to a friend yesterday and we were saying glad my boat didn't have a 150 'cause it would be a sea slug....$13 - $14K tops. :mrgreen:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Pathery,Your post is a good one! I noticed the trailer is not an aluminum one and if the buyer wants to use the boat in saltwater a lot, this trailer will take a beating for sure. I dont have a dog in this hunt at a all, but is the OX66 not a fuel injected motor????

Trim tabs - I know the 228 responds exceedingly well to the tabs. I can see the advantage of the tabs as we did not have them on our 192 and I can see now having a boat with tabs versus not having them what a plus they are in trimming out the boat versus playing musical chairs with this guy sitting here and that girl sitting over there kind of thing. So if you buy her, I would suggest getting the tabs put on her.

seasick

Reaction score
The price seems a bit high to me but to make an educated guess on worth, you need to say what extras are included and their condition. For example, electronics, helm cover, cabin canvas etc. The trailer may be worth 1000 or so depending on age. Condition is hard to tell since these trailers corrode from the inside out.
My 2001 with the 150 SX and full canvas in good shape, a decent trailer, extras like helm cover, PFDs, radio, GPS, wash down, fresh water hose, no pulpit, no tabs is probably worth about 16 to 18K. Some smaller boats like this model appreciated a bit when gas was close to 5 bucks. Now they have stabilized.

In mu humble opinion, many boats 'look' like they are pristine especially if it is your first. A marine survey is the best investment you can make. These Grady's often have transom moisture issues and that needs to be checked by a pro.

Best of luck with your endeavor

LB2141

Reaction score
Hey guys just an update... I spoke with the owner again and told her that the very most I would be willing to pay is $16k including the survey. I told her since the history of the boat is a little vague that I want a survey done first. She agreed on that and now I'm looking for a surveyor. The boat comes with basically everything her husband ever bought for it from bimini/helm cover to gps to life jackets fenders etc etc. I agree with you guys on the lack of trim tabs and pulpit. To be honest I would have rather have the pulpit than anything else. Trim tabs shouldn't be too hard to do myself. I've done transducers and plenty of wiring on my old boat/friends boats etc. Smoky - OX66 is an EFI two stroke but from what I've read its one of the best motors yamaha has produced. The trailer is of no concern to me. As long as I can get out of her driveway and to my house, the ramp is only a few hundred feet from my house. The trailer will be used twice a year and the boat will just sit on it in the winter.

On a sidenote - Am I wasting my time and money by hiring a surveyor during below freezing temps? A friend told me that they cannot get an accurate read on the moisture content of hull if the water is frozen. Makes sense to me just wondering if its true?

Thanks again for the help guys.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've never met a surveyor that has told me anything I haven't seen for myself...but then again I've been around boats for many, many years. I spend the $$$ on a mechanic doing compression and leak down tests, and - if applicable - pulling the info from the ECM. (Won't apply on an OX66).

That said, if you get a surveyor, make sure he is certified. You can find a list at www.acms-usa.com