Grady-drive engine spacing?

gw204

Reaction score
1993 Sailfish 252G w/ original Grady-drive bracket (manufactured by Gil Marine I believe)....engines mounted on 26" centers, right?

Thanks. :)

Tunacious D

Reaction score
Not sure about Gil Marine, but the 26" centers is correct. Had to chip some of the epoxy coating off of the bracket and etch, prime and paint mine this weekend to get it ready for the repower.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brian, that' s the standard for all twins 2 and 4 stroke ever made, except Yamaha F V6s and the F350, of course.

Yamaha F V6s needs 29 inches, as I recall.

Yamaha had to be different, I guess.

The owners manual on Yamaha website free to look at has the dimensional drawing and twin centerlne mount spec.

Tunacious D

Reaction score
Decided on the Yamaha HPDI 200s. It was a hard decision. Looked at Optis, Suzuki, Etec and Yamahas HPDIs due to the limitations on the bracket and 26" centers. I found a good deal on a pair of leftover 200 Suzukis (about $2k less than the HPDIs) but the extra weight and dealer network had me somewhat concerned. I know the Yamahas are near bullet-proof, very efficient and have a great dealer/repair network. I could not get the Merc or Evinrude dealers to budge on price. Ended up getting the engines from Boats.net (Central Florida Yamaha). I decided to rerig everything including the binnacle, gauges, harnesses, battery cables, etc.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The reason why the left over 4 stroke 200 Suzies are $2k less, is because you will loose performance over 200 two strokers, not to mention the added 200 + lbs of dead weight dargging around at the stern. You get what you pay for.

I'll bet the farm after taking first trip with the new 200 HPDIs, a smile that comes from well spent money will be on your face for sometime !
No chance of dissapointment. You may wish everything bought was so satisfying, as I did.
I'm surprised you didn't fall for Yamaha dealer four stroke SW sales push, like so many have.

What a boat, what motors! 4k rpm is sweet $ spot.

gw204

Reaction score
Everything I have read talks about the Suzuki 4-strokes being excellent performers. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to slap a pair on my boat.

I would have to remove the graphics though. They are awful... :)

My brother had a 140 Suzuki on his 1984 Tournament 19. It pushed that boat to about 40 mph. Of course he couldn't keep up with the carbed Merc 150 pushing my 204...but then again, no one can keep up with Merc. :)

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thank the heavens for Suzie, she saved the 175 and 300 4 stroke crowd from Ms. Yamaha's F150 and F300 offerings.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brain, what's the deal on the Merc Opti spark plugs going for $25 a throw?

$300 bucks for V6 twins, plus labor. Whoa!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A buddy with a big BW conquest twin Opti 225s said marina charged $25 a pop, may include labor I hope, or the $25 is list. $11 bucks more like it.

I'd never have a boat if not for being a DIYer, for sure. Ridiculous pricing.