Grady Overnighter trailer question

JohnnyOcean

Reaction score
I just bought a 1985 Grady white 204 overnighter and i am looking to buy a used trailer for it. A trailer dealer told me that the boat needs a double axle trailer. Is he right or is he trying to sell me a more expensive trailer. I'm not planning on trailering it too far.

Any help would be appreciated!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I'd say he's on target. Your boat will weigh in the neighborhood of at least 3500# boat, motor, batteries, fuel, and trailer (has to be included, also). If you can find a single that will support that weight with any sort of safety margin, go for it.

My step-father also said he was only going to trailer for a short distance with his over loaded single. Worked fine until the hurricane threatened and he had to move the rig inland. He was lucky he found someone who would mount two new tires for him on a Sunday after blowing both ... :?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You will need something in the neighborhood of 5000 lbs of capacity....at that point the difference between a 5200 single axle and a 6000 tandem is generally not more than $150 or so.

striped bass

Reaction score
Johnny:
Most trailers start to deteriorate after the 4th year. The wheel bearings are classic points of failure. Make sure any used trailer you consider has been maintained properly or you will have additional expenses.

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I alson have an 86' 204C, which I use a dual axle trailer for. All I use my trailer for is haul out, winter storage and spring launch, but still wouldn't dream of using a single axle...

Just my $.02

Bren

Bryansvo

Reaction score
My 88 206G sits on a tandem... check the wheel bearings and brakes (if equiped) on any used set-up.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
dual here too, I tow with a jeeep cherokee and a dual axle venture my trip is less than 3 miles, tows like it is on rails. Brakes are a must unless your towing with a large truck and your trip is real short. If you get a used one make sure you PULL the wheels and check brakes, bearings, ect. Dont take the sellers word for it. I pull mine every 2 months and let me tell you if your dropping it into sw, it corrodes real fast even if you fw flush.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
You'll probably not be disappointed. Careful with tight turns, tandems scrub more than singles ... :wink: