grady white 204c need info help !!!

svinny8880

Reaction score
ok hi i am new to this site, and need some input on a grady white 204 boat
the boat is a 1984 , has a 200 horse 1986 yamaha 2 stroke and a 20 horse yamaha 4 stroke kicker
this boat has been in storage for about 12 years, very clean, has a hard top and 2 elec downriggers i can purchase this boat for 5,000

i want to ocean fish with this boat
anyone have one of these? what are the limits of this boat and some mods i can do to make it seaworthy for fishing 20 miles out? does this hull style handle well? are the scuppers big enough from the factory?
any help would be apreciated, i realy like this boat, have the means to buy it, but dont want to be disapointed when i get in a rough sea

wanderer200

Reaction score
svinny8880 said:
what are the limits of this boat and some mods i can do to make it seaworthy for fishing 20 miles out? does this hull style handle well? are the scuppers big enough from the factory?
any help would be apreciated, i realy like this boat, have the means to buy it, but dont want to be disapointed when i get in a rough sea

Best advice is to keep an eye on the weather. A 20 footer becomes very small when mother nature get angry.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
While you do have to watch the weather with any boat, a 204C is about the most rugged 20 footer you'll find. I had an original Overnighter from 1975-1986. It spent 3 years fishing out of Niantic CT, where 10 ft standing waves in the Race is a normal occurrence. We made runs out to Montauk and Block Island without a problem on nice days. The boat spent the next 8 years out of Tarpon Spring FL fishing the Gulf where 20-30 mile trips were the norm.

The older style hull is very stable and will handle 3-5 ft seas if you can take the beating. It can stand a lot more abuse than you yourself can handle. I recall getting caught in a thunderstorm one night where all we could do was to face into the waves and wait it out for 4 hours.

The downside of the hull besides the short length is that it is VERY wet. The best offshore modification is canvas and side curtains. The scuppers will let your feet get wet when fishing from the stern at anchor, but I would not recommed doing any modification that might impair draining. We took waves over the bow pulling out of the Race that put enough water in the boat to float the cooler. But bringing the boat up on plane would let most of the water flow out over the motor well. They are very seaworthy boats!

You need to be very careful with a hull that age and should have it surveyed for wood rot. We had water in our transom when we traded the boat in for a 22' Seafarer in '86.

seasick

Reaction score
wanderer200 said:
svinny8880 said:
what are the limits of this boat and some mods i can do to make it seaworthy for fishing 20 miles out? does this hull style handle well? are the scuppers big enough from the factory?

Best advice is to keep an eye on the weather. A 20 footer becomes very small when mother nature get angry.
If it has been 'stored' for 12 years, you should figure on spending some bucks on maintenance. First thing is to see what the fuel tank is made of. If aluminum, you have to be extra careful in making sure the tank is not pitted or worse. Figure that all the hoses have to be replaced. Both motors will need major maintenance just to clean out the gunk that has probably developed over time. Carbs will most likely need to be rebuilt. Wireing may be less than perfect. A lot depens on how the boat was stored.

This is a 25 year old vessel and you have to expect that it will need ongoing maintenance.
As to sea worthiness: That is a pre SeaV2 hull and is not as stable as current designs. In addition, the boat will roll in seas. I have a 208 SeaV2 which is the same size as the 204 hull. The boat can take a lot more pounding than I can but sitting in 2-3 swells can make me queasy in a hurry when the boat rolls side to side. I have been in rougher seas, 5-6 footer with strong winds and it can rattle your teeth and back when breaking the waves. To be honest, I can get queasy on an escalator. I am just letting you know that if you are prone to motion sickness, you won't be fishing in anything more than 1-2 foot swells.

The deck is self bailing and there is never an issue on mine with water collecting. The boat is usually dry (at the helm) but in rough seas, I have been spalshed over the windscreen. It is best to limit the number of fishermen to three in my opinion. Over that, it is just too crowded.

svinny8880

Reaction score
this boat has a hard top and the canvas that goes around it thanks for the info i realy apreciate it the fuel tank is a 60 gallon one is there room for a reserve tank? can i put a bigger tank in? is 5,000 a good price for this vessel?

seasick

Reaction score
svinny8880 said:
this boat has a hard top and the canvas that goes around it thanks for the info i realy apreciate it the fuel tank is a 60 gallon one is there room for a reserve tank? can i put a bigger tank in? is 5,000 a good price for this vessel?

No room for a reserve tank. The current models have 80 gal tanks but retrofitting will probably be difficult. That said, if the tank is aluminum, you may have to replace it. Some older models have a deck panel that can be removed (with difficulty) to get to the tank. Newer model don't and you have to cut the deck to access the tank. I don't know about your model year. I also can't comment on the price since so much depends on hull and motor condition. One key thing to check is the transom. Wet transoms and delamination have been issues. If the boat has been sitting for 12 years in a dry place, the transom won't be wet (now) but it it has delaminated, you can still test that.
Just remember that you will most likely have to put money into this vessel. If the motor turns out to be bad, you bought a $5,000 hull and that is not a good deal. Older hulls are often given away. A newer or new motor could run $5,000 to $15,000 rigged. So unless you are a Grady enthusiast who likes older boats, you need to see what that model in that year is worthe in good condition today, and see what the difference is in dollars from what they ask. The difference is how much you put into it before your good deal becomes a money hole.

A quick search of the web shows 204 in the mid to late 1980 model years being brokered for prices around 9,000 to 12,000. Figure that they would sell for 20% less. The boats I saw had 150 to 200hp motors, no hardtop but included trailers and were listed as 'good condition' and included some electronics.
So assuming your model would sell for $7,500 to $9,000, you have room to spend a few thousand before you are spending more than its worth. You can easily spen a few thou, especiall if there is a tank issue, a bad motor or a delaminated/wet transom. So, if you are sure the major components are in good shape, it looks like a decent deal.
For me, if I can't run the motor and sea trail the vessel, I wouldn't consider it.

jdsmith

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I have a 1984 204 center console Fisherman with a 2002, 150 hp Johnson. It was a project boat and I have done a lot with it, including replacing the fuel tank. Let me know if I can be of any help to you. I think you will find some very helpful suggestions on this site. Good Luck!

CalvinBr

Reaction score
1984 204 Fisherman CC is what I have. 175 Yamaha. How big is the gas tank in them. It is the one from the factory. Thank you for your time.

Calvin
Baytown, Texas

ScottM

Reaction score
CalvinBr said:
1984 204 Fisherman CC is what I have. 175 Yamaha. How big is the gas tank in them. It is the one from the factory. Thank you for your time.

Calvin
Baytown, Texas

Most likely 65 gallons.