Grady White Purchase

jlindsley

Reaction score
I am selling my current boat and looking to purchase a Grady. I really like the 232 Gulfsteam and would like something in the 23-25 foot range. Having twin engines is also a must (travel 30+ miles offshore). I primarily offshore fish off Daytona beach

A few questions I have are:

When did Grady start making it mandatory for basic or level floation in their boats?

Also I have a 2009 silverado 4wd crew cab truck. I would be towing the boat locally for the most part (10 miles 30 mph).

Any recommandations on boat models or answers? Thank you for your help!

John

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
John - are you thinking new or used and if used, how old? Or equivalently, what is your budget?

You can download past catalogs from the Grady-White site which will list specs and available options for each year:
http://www.gradywhite.com/customer/catalogs/

As for towing, the max weight of the Gulfstream was listed at 6600 lbs on the GW trailer spec sheet for 1994. I would think you could tow that with a half-ton.

Clockwork

Reaction score
All gradys have flotation even back inthe 80s. The gulfstream is a significant boat totow but completely doable with a newer fullsize truck and especially with the speeds and distances you describe.

Thegulfstream is one of myfavorite models I just hate the bunks in the v berth.

fighterpilot

Reaction score
I have tried to download catalogs and get the response "not available". Anyone else finding that problem today?

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fighterpilot » Dec Sat 28, 2013 3:42 pm

I have tried to download catalogs and get the response "not available". Anyone else finding that problem today?

I just tried and got the same message. From my search, I have most of them from 1993-2002 and would be happy to forward to anyone who wants one. Just PM your email address to me and let me know which year you are interested in. They are .PDF files about 15Meg or so in length.

jlindsley

Reaction score
My budget is around 40. I would prefer something 1992 or newer(seav2) hull. I know around 99 they started switching to rot resistant wood. Either getting something somewhat new that I do not have to repower or something older and putting new engines on it. Also considering robalos and boston whaler conquest 23 twin engine model from late 90s. I think the grady is the best overall from an offshore fishing standpoint. Do not want bottom paint and need hard top as well. I actually like the bunks a lot in the 23 and think the cabin design is very well thought out. I looked at a new one the other day and it is def a lot of boat!

Clockwork

Reaction score
The gulfstream trumps comparable robalos and conquests from a fishing standpoint. Plus a gulfstream is considerably larger than both due to the beam and more open layout. I think the robalo and whaler will have slightly better interiors but are pretty cramped on the dancefloor. A buddy of mine has a 25ft robalo and it has the emphasis on the cabin and cuddy. Nice boat all around but not a great fishing platform.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
jlindsley;
I have a 232 Gulfstream and it is a marvelous rig. We overnite in it..It's not the Mariott but we enjoy the "camping" type experience when we want a weekend on the water.
I have twin 200 4-strokes and I think it's the best power combo. 1.9-2.1 MPG at 3700-3900 RPM. This is between 30-33 MPH. It will cruise at 37 MPH on the hi-end at 4400. It will end up just South of 50 MPH if you firewall it. I never do..What's the point unless there's an emergency onshore or your outrunning a storm cell or something.
Your total weight of boat and trailer will surprise you. The 232 is a heavy, wide boat. MIne? It's 10,100 lbs fully fueled and loaded. Even if you start eliminating items and run your tanks low, you'll still be at or over 8000 lbs. Your Chevy crew cab will probably yank it around ok for short trips. Is yours a 1/2 or 3/4 ton? Remember your overwide with the 9' 3" beam so you'll need permits that vary from state-to-state to be legal.
I seem to say this a lot on here, but make sure your trailer is overbuilt. I have 7000 lb axles on mine. I started with 5000 pounders and blew bearings prematurely and broke a couple brackets and welds on the frame. Once we beefed up my trailer it's fine. Granted, I tow thousands of miles per year so I am undoubtedly experiencing more stress than you will with short trips. I would tow between 55-60 MPH, but bumps, cracks in the road, uneven expansion joints on bridges; they all add up to nothing good concerning your rig.
Just make sure your trailer is up to the task; so many are underbuilt for the boats they hold.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
jlindsley:
While I no longer live in the area, Volusia and Brevard counties is where I do most of my fishing. I have family in Deland and Titusville so we go down on the spring to fish. I am not trying to talk you out of a Gulfy at all. It is a great boat and if I lived there I would likely own one myself because you really dont have trailer it very far to get good water or fun on the St. Johns River.

With that said, the peace of mind of twins is nice and I feeling I have yet to know. I have a 228 and routinely fish out of Ponce, Port Canaveral and Sebastian with her and we will head out chasing dolphin in the spring and head out upwards of 50 off. Now I have redundant GPS, and radios and an epirb. Plus I pick the days and know what I can handle in terms of seas and so forth. It is imperative to keep boat maintenance up and the engine tuned up and so forth.

What I am getting at is Gulfy is a good or great boat, but the 228 or the Journey are also good choices for your fishing ideas too and I often fish out there with 22-25s with single motors. Heck I knew this one guy, Nick, who designed toys and was a member of the Daytona Grady Club. I met him maybe 10 years ago and he had 180 center console Grady and fished that boat 40 miles off routinely. He was one of the best fisherman I have ever met.

The Coast Guard sets the standards for Level Flotation in boats under 20 feet. Basic Flotation is something Grady does on all their boats above 20 feet, but they dont have too by law. They could have no flotation like a Contender. Good luck on your search and maybe we bump into you when we are down your way.

jlindsley

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice! I am def. leaning towards 2 engines though from a safety standpoint. I currently go out of Ponce in my 204fx angler with a new etec but the boat is a little small. We have caught really nice wahoo, dolphin and sailfish in the boat but I would like to upgrade. I would like 2 engines for peace of mind but also a little larger boat it helps with pushing and tracking. I like the journey as well and am not stuck on the gulfsteam. I also think the robalo 2440 is a really nice set up as well.