Great Lakes Question

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Bill: Long-winded is much appreciated, so thank you! We're pretty weather-conservative and especially so when on these trips. Weather days are built into the plan.

Good advice on staying within the channel markers, too. I always intend to when in waters that I don't know. That said, I still have made a mistake or three, even when trying not to!

One more question for you if I may. With the prevailing breeze being somewhat S or SW, you still believe it is still preferred to travel from east to west?

Thanks, Rob

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If your looking for the optimum running conditions, West to East would be the best choice as anything S or SW would be abaft your starboard beam or following you.

The orientation of the Southern shore of Erie is SW by NE. Therefore, as I should've mentioned in my rambling discourse above, there is the real scenario of encountering a strong SW flow ahead of an approaching cold front creating a crappy day for you heading West. Kudos to you for bringing this up.I hadn't thought of the possibility of a SW wind paralleling the coast blowing hard. Most days these fair weather winds are 10k or less and you'll still be fine, but if it starts blowing hard SW, you'll have a head sea and spray/pounding. The exception is near the islands where you'll get in the lee, but from Buffalo to Vermillion a strong SW flow is something to watch. Shame on me..

I still think you can run East to West and still have a fair shot at comfortable days. Straight Southerlies and you'll be fine. Anything SW 10K or under should be doable. This is for the most part a lee shore. I would run close in the whole way, keeping 10-12 feet of depth. The closer to shore you are the better the conditions except in Northerlies & Noreasters. Again, strong Hi Pressure systems will help your cause. Any East wind coupled with a falling barometer should be closely monitored. In the Midwest these factors are often the forerunner of bad weather within 48 hrs.

As you travel a shoreline, the points of land and embayments/coves in between the points will have varying sea conditions. Round a point and curve back in to stay alongshore and conditions will change, although not radically in fair weather conditions.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Okay Magical, the more useful info you provide, the more follow on questions I come up with. First, thanks for such specific advice. It is most helpful and appreciated. Second, another question: I like the specific advice about following the 10'-12' shoreline contour on anything southerly. How about commercial fishing nets in that depth or are they typically well enough marked that you can easily avoid in fair weather?

Again, thanks for all the helpful info.

Rob

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My pleasure Rob; I think more folks should plan trips like yours.

I can't give you accurate assessments & advice on commercial fishing netting. I am not a fisherman and just don't have any background in that area except for getting better at missing lobster pots off the Gulf coast.

I can only speculate that any netting should be well marked with floating bouys visible from a reasonable distance. However I have no idea where they place them or if they are marked or not.

keep 'em coming, I'll do the best I can and Family Affair hopefully can chime in as well. He knows the area better than I do.