Groco Maserator Pump: Grady 265

DrainSurgeon

Reaction score
When I bought my Grady in April, the holding tank would not pump out. I pulled the Groco pump, cleaned it, freed the maserator blade with a wrench, and sprayed Marvel Mystery Oil Lubricant (Awesome Stuff) into the pump. I hooked it up to a battery and got it to spin. Installed back in the tank and kept blowing the fuse( fuse block is in a tough spot, especially if you have hot dog fingers) Do I have to spend $460.00 on a new pump?

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wow you didn't mention how hard it is to get to and how you are probably going to have to go back in there.........
I replaced mine 12 months ago, but i believe that it may be easier to just rig up an electric macerator head with a remote pump to pump out the holding tank. If you always use the enzyme fluids it breaks down into an easy liquid to pump out.

DrainSurgeon

Reaction score
The pump wasn't too difficult. There's a access panel in the deck inside the storage area. I don't know if this was a factory access panel or installed later. It did take an hour and a lot of sweat. I saw a new Groco pump online for $ 406.00, hope it will solve the problem.

JOSH S

Reaction score
You can get an external macerator pump and the necessary fittings to do away with the in-tank pump for about $175.00. Then you won't have to fool with removing that intank pump again.

Bill_N

Reaction score
DrainSurgeon said:
The pump wasn't too difficult. There's a access panel in the deck inside the storage area. I don't know if this was a factory access panel or installed later. It did take an hour and a lot of sweat. I saw a new Groco pump online for $ 406.00, hope it will solve the problem.

My boat has the same panel so it must be factory. I've never had to mess with that pump Thank God

freddy063

Reaction score
Does the fuse blow right away or after a while? Did you check to see if the pump spins before you put it back in? If it blows right away the pump my be bad, get it rebuild, less that new, if its blows after a while it might not be free and my have some stuff still keeping it from spinning free.

bc282

Reaction score
the mac pump is a high amp draw appliance.
if you've added any (and i mean any) electronics or additional draw to the same wires that feed the pump, you may need to run heavier gauge wire to the fuse block or pump. I believe the submersible mac pump runs about 13-15 amps at 12V. Wire is most likely 10 gauge as mine was to the block. I replaced the wire with hi quality marine 4 gauge wires (overkill, but i got a great deal on the wire).

Or some of the connections may be corroded and causing higher resistance and making the pump work harder and drawing too many amp thus blowing breakers/fuses.