Gulfstream 1989 Purchase Advice

Adam

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi All
I am new to Gradys and am looking at purchasing a pre 1990 Gulfstream as a restoration project. Ive looked at a few and the hulls all seem prettty good for their age. Are there any particular signs or inherrent problems I should be looking for? Most likely I will refit all electrics and repower and replace all the old teak etc so its more the structural side of things I am looking at. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on what to look for.

Mant thanks

Workdog

Reaction score
I would get a survey for whatever boat you plan to buy. There are many Gradys out there that don't need a new transom or stringers (evidence my 1989 Gulfstream). There were things I had to replace though. Depends on how well the previous owners maintained her. You upgrade the important things first and phase in upgrades over time. It doesn't bleed your incentive, or wallet, that way. For an '89 you will want to look at cabin bulkheads (Mine were rotten, and I replaced those without too many problems). If you have to replace those, you will have access to wiring at the backside of the helm, so I replaced a lot of wiring at that time (there was a lot of obsolete wiring bundles and harnesses that I tore out at that time). The survey should check for soft floors--again, mine was perfectly fine. The fuel tanks may be getting close to replacement. My aux tank was in great shape. The aft main tank was stained on the top surface, so I pulled it when I replaced my fill and fuel hoses. There was some pitting on the bottom surface where the tank rested on the rubber strips. I cleaned and sanded the tank and covered the tank in two layers of fiberglass and epoxy and put it back in the boat. There were other things I replaced over time like the thruhulls and electronics also. After you get the survey, you will have a better feel for what needs to be done next (and whether it will be worth the time and money), or move on to another boat.

Adam

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, boat looks nice Rumblefish but i need a project to keep me out of the house. I seem to have found a decent 1988 Gulfstream and a couple over overpriced decent examples. The price variation I encountered was huge for very similar boats. The wiring is old and needs replacing and the wood and cabin bulkheads are a little tired but some starboard, a rewire and alot of elbow grease should get it looking respectable. Ive read a couple ofg great posts on what to do. Tanks replaced and a repower a while back means the big stuff should be fine for a while(famouls last words). All the ones i have seen have the engine or engines on the transom, is that regarded as better or worse than the 232 model that resembles the modern Gulfstreams? Also did any of the older models have a rear seating option like a bench or fold down that i could add?

Workdog

Reaction score
Adam,
Actually, for my fishing purposes, I much prefer the engines on the transom and NOT a bracket. I wouldn't have it any other way. If I were to "upgrade," it would be to a used 265 Express (which has the motors on the transom also). I use the livewell to keep brewskis cold and the fishbox for storage. My fish go in a large cooler at the transom gate (which also doubles as a seat). The cooler keeps the fish mess consolidated, and at the end of the trip, the cooler gets carried off the boat and to the filet table.

Jas

Reaction score
I would definitely check the port and starboard cabin windows for signs of leaking. I think a lot of guys, with a lot of models, have had to fix or replace these. Same with the bow hatch. Not a huge problem but one you should be aware of before purchase.

Also check the anchor rode and chain. I think to get the anchor to set correctly you should have about 10’ (or more) of chain. Just replaced mine from the measly 4’ that was on there. (The original Grady dealer should have known better.)

Good luck.
Ted

Adam

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, Went for a 1994 Explorer in the end. Needs some TLC as its been neglected for a few years but really barely been used. I'll see how the motors are once they are back in one piece. :D