Gulfstream Fuel Primer Pumps..needed????

cgmiller

Hello Gents,

While chasing a broken ground wire, I removed the rear access panel and exposed the fuel filters and the fuel primer pumps and some really gross stuff growing in this area...not to mention a 1/2" of corrosion ontop of the filter housings....anyway, it was a good thing I did as some of the fuel lines (all original 1990 stuff) were decayed, bubbling and ready to fall apart....ended up replacing the lines from the filters to the primer pumps and from the pumps to the engines.....my actual question is are the fuel primer pumps even needed now with engines with electric fuel pumps that can prime themselves???? I feel these primer pumps add a few unnecessary hose connections and what happens when the pumps crap out? I am sure these are the original ones and are 20 years old....

grady23

My '97 still has them and every time I start the boat, I MUST use the primer system or it won't start. I also have the carb engines -- Maybe that's why.

Bokat

I don't think you need them. I use my primer pumps sometimes, it depends on how long it's been since the motors were run. I have 2003 DFI Evinrudes on my boat. I have a friend who has a 94 Gulfstream with twin F150's and he removed his pumps.

Even if your primer pumps failed you would still be OK if you have the primer bulbs on the fuel line. If you need to prime the engines just use the bulbs. The fuel runs through your pumps now when the engines are running so nothing would change with a failed primer pump except you would have to use the bulb to prime instead of the electric pumps. I think my logic is correct, if there is a flaw in it somebody let me know.

no problem

My carbed engines absolutely wouldn't start without them. During my re power they were bypassed and the new fuel injected engines prime themselves just fine.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
If you have injected motors, you may need them when changing the water separating fuel filter or at the start of the season. If you have carbs, you'll need them. For $5 a piece it's not going to hurt anything.

uncljohn

My Yam SWS EFI will start w/o priming, but it takes 4-8 seconds of turning over the motor vs. 2-3 seconds with it primed. So its not necessary, but helps take some work off your fuel pump and starter.

cgmiller

My boat has 2004 F150's and the primer pumps and fuel filters are in ugly shape..what is $5? I have to believe that those pumps are alot more than $5....the engines with electronic fuel pumps should not need the primer pumps in my opinion.....do the newer boats have them?

gw204

Those primers are nothing more than electric primer bulbs. I think that's where the $5 comment came from. Most people just replace them w/ the bulbs when they go bad.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
OMC used to sell them complete, about 250 bucks, no longer. Then only parts, perhaps today nothing at all.

They were standard SW low pressure gas pumps with a bypass loop added to lower pressure more and lessen chance of damaging carb needle valves / pumps. Usually transom mounted, clamp style bracket was plated carbon steel and used to rust bad, piping and fittings was flare tube copper that corroded. Had a hell of a time finding cause of intermittant performnace from one motor, discovered air getting into flare fitting and bubbling fuel to VRO pump/carb. Clearfule line added looked like bubble maker.
Many an hour spent on that one, incl. a new VRO pump that had no effect.
Got a spare VRO pump out of deal.

Get rid of them, they were a convenience on older 2 strokes to save walking back from bridge to transom, opening service door, and squeeze hand bulbs - had to prime in those days.
They may have been useful for I/O motors too.

As far as racors go, you just prefill them with raw fuel before screwing up into place - can leave down an inch or so and make up remainder with the bulb. Otherwise a lot more hand working.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Yes the $5 was for the primer bulbs, the electric ones are more of a hastle than they're worth. Don't you check the bilge before your trip? If you're over there anyway, might as well give a pump or 2 if needed. The injected motors (yami anyway) have a fairly large tank before the high pressure pumps so you have a decent size fuel buffer. Not everybody has a can of fuel handy when changing the racors to top them off. With the injected motors you might have enough fuel to let the pumps prime the system but maybe not. The bulbs are $5 and cheap insurance.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
I think all outboards still need primer bulbs. My HPDIs came wit primers in the box.

My Yamaha bulbs were a lot more than 5 bucks!

Can fill a racor with primer bulb, just takes time, I did it.

bhemi

I have a 1992 Marlin. I bypassed the pumps with bulbs. Simpler and easier to diagnose. Sitting less than 2 or 3 weeks don't even need them with EFI's. I suspect with carbs you might need them nearly every time.