Gulfstream VS Pursuit 247 walkaround/255 offshore

toftown

Reaction score
I am looking for a newer gulfstream, my buddy who is also sharing in this boat thinks the Pursuit 247 walkaround/ or 255 offshore may be a better choice. Pacific North West fishing.

I prefer the wider beam of a gulfstream but can anyone help me with intel? thoughts? comments?
Thanks in advance!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have an '07 Gulfstream and I think it rides a little rougher than a narrower beam boat of similar length.

Ex. My friend has a 258 Journey (Grady) with an 8' 6" beam and his rig rides a bit smoother than mine. Not a lot, but noticeable.

That said, I really like my 232 Gulfstream. The xtra beam makes for a large cockpit and it's easy to get between the helm and passenger chairs.

I recommend twins/ 200's are the best choice and 150's are OK.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Can't help you with your decision, however from my experience I don't recommend going in on a boat with a partner/friend. Good luck

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
X2 on the boat partnership. I did this twice years ago and it didn't work out either time. The first time was with my brother and we got along fine but the wives were the problem. The second time was with a friend and it spoiled the friendship for a while. The wives came in to play here too but in a more helpful way - they kept us from killing each other...

However, I've seen a boat partnership work reasonably well one time but it was a case where the two folks really needed each other. One guy had more money than talent where the other was a great all around mechanic but with little money.

And finally, it you like the wide beam of the Gulfstream, take a ride on a Sailfish... :D

Hotchief

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Personally I am too anal and OCD to have a partner on a boat deal, I think you'd have to be the type of guy who has zero emotional attachment to the boat. Maybe that's not fair since we don't know the partnership/friendship.

Anyway I'd have to say go Gulfstream.

I came from a 208 and the beam and deck of this boat rivals the fishing platform space of many 30 foot boats.

Also I am very happy with the twin 150's. My boat performs fantastic in terms of holeshot and cruise speed, it's RPM to speed ratios are better then my previous 208 with an F225.