GW 208 fuel tank issue/questions

Bajaahh

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a new to me 2005 GW 208 with a Yamaha 225 4 stroke. It has an 82 gallon fuel tank that I am trying to diagnose a problem with. I appreciate any help or advice you can give...
I received the boat with what I thought was half a tank, so after using the boat for a while, the last bar on the Yamaha fuel gauge started to blink. I went to the gas station to fill it up for an upcoming long distance trip. The tank only took 37 gallons of gas!? That would mean that there was actually still 45 gallons in the tank..?
I am getting two different readings on the gauge. One sitting at idle in the water, and one while under power. I am assuming thats normal?
How much fuel is left in the tank when the last bar on the fuel gauge is blinking(is there a "reserve")??
Do you read the fuel level when the boat is underway on plane or when it is sitting idle in the water? Can you please educate me or give advice to troubleshoot my issue?

I am thinking of just running the boat until I run out of gas and then add 41 gallons from 5 gallon cans to see what that level it shows on the gauge...

Operator error?
Bad sending unit?
Bad Yamaha gauge?(is there a way to reset it?

Thanks in advance for your response

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ah, yes....nothing wrong with your fuel gauge.....note when cruising it says almost full because of the angle of the boat...read the gauge when the boat is stopped in calm water. You will get used to the gauge and be able to estimate very closely. When mine reads half a tank, it takes about 22 gallons....congrats on your boat and enjoy, it is a great water craft!

Bajaahh

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the reply's. I tried to do a search but I couldn't find what you guys gave me. Maybe that will be my next noob question, how to do a proper topic search :-|

Thanks you for the help. It was a little humbling to be 70 miles out to sea for 3 days and see my fuel gauge blinking! Luckily I had brought 30 extra gallons in cans with us. I couldn't be happier with my 208, it has performed above expectations!
-Scott