hard steering

freddy063

Reaction score
My sailfish haves a trouble with the steering, It always turns hard, so I am trying to find out how it works. The unit under the steering wheel where the oil goes in, is that the pump? What else are there, hoses and cylinders? I also have autohelm and when that is on the wheel spins free, how does that work? Any information on this would be helpful.

grady23

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with autohelm but have been told that autopilot systems will be hard to turn if air gets in the system. Have you tried bleeding the system per the manufacters instructions??

seabob4

Reaction score
freddy063 said:
My sailfish haves a trouble with the steering, It always turns hard, so I am trying to find out how it works. The unit under the steering wheel where the oil goes in, is that the pump? What else are there, hoses and cylinders? I also have autohelm and when that is on the wheel spins free, how does that work? Any information on this would be helpful.

Assuming you have Teleflex's Seastar steering system, the steering will NOT become "hard" if there is air in the system, you will simply have "dead spots" and play before the motor actually moves.

Try bleeding per the Install Manual, but one question first. How old is your boat?

Bebo

Reaction score
I have always thought my steering was too hard as well. I have bleed the system with no change. All the greese points are greesed regularly. But I do have autopilot. I am interested in finding out if bleeding needs to be done differently for an autopilot system.
I even busted a vessel in my thumb on my last outing, trying to work the steering wheel knob! I have started researching power steering...

freddy063

Reaction score
I have a 1994 sailfish with autohelm/autopilot, do they all steer hard with autopilot? am I trying to fix something thats not broken?

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I recommend you disconnect the steering cylinder from the motor and see if the tiller arm isn't the problem. The grease could have solidified or there could be corrosion creating resistance.

JOSH S

Reaction score
Does the upper pivot point on your outboard have grease come out when you put it in the zerk fitting? On mine that was the culprit. The parrafin carrier in the grease had gotten coagulated up there making the steering very stiff over the winter. You can try taking the pressure off by using a jack to lift the motor at the skeg or a motor hoist. Then add grease and heat if necessary.

grady23

Reaction score
HEAT --- Be very carful what you heat on an outboard. The aluminum will transfer heat at a very high rate and damage parts like seals if you aren't real carful or know exactly how/where to apply the heat.

freddy063

Reaction score
thanks for all the inputs, I will try what everyone said and see if any thing helps.

go fish

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Put a few drops of hydraulic oil on the steering shaft just behind the steering wheel. It loosen mine.